Restore removed tray icon (clipit)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minero

Restore removed tray icon (clipit)

Post by Minero »

I am running clipit via the autostart menu with a delay of 10s on Linux Mint 17.3. It worked perfectly for a long time but once another program crashed. I right clicked on the icon of the other crashed program in the tray and removed it. Somehow it also removed clipit which was the next icon in the tray. Since then clipit doesn't appear anymore.

Clipit is running in the background and I can perfectly open it's history with the hotkey CTRL+ALT+H but there is no icon in the tray. With a different user it still works.

Clipit doesn't appear in the 'Applets' settings which is normal. It is not an applet but a program with tray icon. I looked through all cinnamon menus and googled a lot. I search through all hidden system files in the user home directory for clipit or for settings about tray icons. I deleted clipits settings to make them default and also started it manually. I restarted the computer a few times meanwhile. No chance, I can't restore this icon. Any more idears? I don't want to recreate this user because of many other good settings.
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Restore removed tray icon (clipit)

Post by Odyseus »

Hello, Minero.

Do other programs show up on your system tray? You might have removed the system tray applet instead of closing the crashed program. Just go to the applets manager and see if the applet called System Tray has a green dot on it (means it is placed). If it doesn't, just add it to the panel.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Clipit uses 2 places for storing inside of your home: ~/.config/clipit and ~/.local/share/clipit. Have you deleted both?
Minero

Post by Minero »

Thanks.. I have found it!

This really hurts.. if I had the English version I would have found it quickly in the Applets but the translation for system tray in German is a bit confusing. I enabled "Benachrichtigungsfeld" and now I can see it again.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In Mint 17.2/3 it is rather easy to remove the systray applet by accident. This risk can be minimized by deactivating the indicator support in the general settings of Cinnamon (in German: Anwendungsanzeigen). In Mint 18 this is off by default.
cbckakaroto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cbckakaroto »

Odyseus wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:27 am Hello, Minero.

Do other programs show up on your system tray? You might have removed the system tray applet instead of closing the crashed program. Just go to the applets manager and see if the applet called System Tray has a green dot on it (means it is placed). If it doesn't, just add it to the panel.
Thanks man!!! Just in case, in Portuguese it is Área de Notificação.

Return to “Cinnamon”