Resolved: cinnamon (mint 18) taskbar how to make it not full width.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

Sorry, newbie question, but how do I get the taskbar to be about 70 or 80% of the screen width.. ie not full width.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
runSPOTrun

Re: cinnamon (mint 18) taskbar how to make it not full width.

Post by runSPOTrun »

Interesting! I've never heard of that in linux, windows or mac. Would be a nice bit of customization (I'm not sure why) though! Good luck, and I hope someone far smarter than me answers.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I did a little Googling, and apparently you can't do that in Cinnamon. I suppose they will add that sooner or later, but for now, I think you're SOL. I always want the panel to be full width, so I had never given it any thought before.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

jimallyn wrote:I did a little Googling, and apparently you can't do that in Cinnamon.
Correct. You can't.
jimallyn wrote: I suppose they will add that sooner or later, but for now, I think you're SOL.
It will be sooner, rather than later. I believe that and many more changes are coming in Mint 18.1
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

Interesting.

Thanks for the info.

It's not such a big issue for me as it's an aesthetic rather than a functional issue.

Looking through the cinnamon.css files from the themes linux mint and void, it looks possible albeit not particularly easy for someone like myself who is not familiar with cinnamon.css files.
Clues to be found in the panel.js sections I'd guess.

Not important though.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

austin.texas wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 am
jimallyn wrote:I did a little Googling, and apparently you can't do that in Cinnamon.
Correct. You can't.
jimallyn wrote: I suppose they will add that sooner or later, but for now, I think you're SOL.
It will be sooner, rather than later. I believe that and many more changes are coming in Mint 18.1
Did this get added to mint 19 (cinnamon)?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Resolved: cinnamon (mint 18) taskbar how to make it not full width.

Post by smurphos »

eu2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 pm Did this get added to mint 19 (cinnamon)?
No.

You can't change the panel width per se, but it's perfectly possible for a Cinnamon Desktop theme to set unused parts of the panel transparent to give that effect. Panels is Cinnamon have three zones (you see them in panel edit mode) so it's just a case of theming each zone differently.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I highly doubt this will ever be implemented. There would have to be a really good reason.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

smurphos wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 pm
eu2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 pm Did this get added to mint 19 (cinnamon)?
No.

You can't change the panel width per se, but it's perfectly possible for a Cinnamon Desktop theme to set unused parts of the panel transparent to give that effect. Panels is Cinnamon have three zones (you see them in panel edit mode) so it's just a case of theming each zone differently.
Thank you so much as that is exactly what I wanted to do!
panel.jpg
I didn't think to look for spacers, dooh!
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

JosephM wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:18 am I highly doubt this will ever be implemented. There would have to be a really good reason.
Yeah, it's a mute point now as I've been shown a work around.
Thanks for your time though.

To explain I use a dual monitor setup (different resolutions) with the secondary above the primary and I like my panel to be at the top of my primary monitor.
I frequently overshoot the panel and end up on the secondary monitor whilst quickly going for a panel icon.
Having the spacers on the side or a narrower panel means I can be a lot more sloppy/faster with quick mouse movements to the panel icons as the mouse cursor doesn't pass through the ends of the panel..
I know it sounds ridiculous but it slightly irritated me.
That and it's what I was used to/prefer look wise anyway, also fractionally less movement of the mouse.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Oh wow. That's a very niche use case ;) Glad you found a way around it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Cinnamon”