Cinnamon crashes, I have a working desktop (SOLVED)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Cinnamon crashes, I have a working desktop (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Like a lot of people here I did the Nvidia driver update and after rebooting I get an error message saying Cinnamon has crashed and I am running in fall back mode. I have a working desktop, no black screen. Yesterday I tried to roll back the Nvidia driver with no luck but my computer is back to where it was before I started the rollback. i am running now on the new Nvidia driver.
I tried running the following: apt-get -F install, dpkg --configure -a, dpkg-reconfigure mdm, Synaptic says 0 broken, 0 to remove, 0 to install/upgrade.
In my /etc/X11 I have several xorg.conf files. One of them has yesterdays date appended to it.
I dont think its my driver that is the cause. I think its something in the cinnamon desktop program. Anyone have an idea to try? Thanks
Last edited by Prsman on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon crashes, I have a working desktop

Post by GSimpson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:21 pm

Same problem here. Hopefully someone working on it?
HP Zbook
Intel© Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
Linux Mint 19.1 64 bit Cinnamon
16GB ram

Graphics NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M]

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:35 pm

see this related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=233030

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Atypical User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:08 pm

I was in fallback mode with a working desktop (black background, though).

You can run the Software Manager and search for nvidia-3 to list the latest drivers. The one(s) checkmarked is/are the one(s) you have installed. You can uninstall the non-transitional version and it will remove the transitional package as well.

I don't know what the default would be, but I would expect it to be the nouveau driver, the one you get when you install LM. You should be able to recover from there.
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GSimpson » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:45 am

I managed to get it working Ok again. I could get it going in recovery mode.
Opened Admin>Driver manager. It allowed me to select a legacy 304 nvidia driver. Reboot and normal resolution restored.
HP Zbook
16GB ram

jrcar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrcar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:14 am

I have had the same problem with Cinnamon post upgrade to nvidia-304.132. That is, after logging in I get a black screen with a visible cursor. When I use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X I can briefly see the background picture before the login screen appears again.

However, the KDE desktop is working OK. I am not convinced that the issue is a problem with driver. I am guessing it is something to do with the set up of Cinnamon in relation to the driver upgrade.

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=rebecca
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca"

32 bit CPU

GeForce 7300 LE video card.

Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. I dont think my problem is with the new driver. I may be wrong. I did a search on the 'net for this problem. There was a post that said to do this : sudo rm -rf .local/share/cinnamon
sudo rm -rf .cinnamon
reboot

Didnt work but no damage done. Then there was a post that said to do this: sudo apt-get upgrade, no change, no damage. If I hose this CPU i dont care.
I have no important stuff on it. Back to the driver, in September I ran the this script from Nvidia and kept the file. /usr/lib/nvidia-304/bin - nvidia-bug-report.sh
I ran it again and would like to compare the files for any difference. The two files have slightly different names but are in the same directory.
How do I run compare files? Thanks

(edit) By working desktop my desktop looks like Ubuntu. At the top left is Applications Places. On the desktop is Computer, Home, Trash. The back ground picture is one I selected. But nowhere do I have a terminal. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-F1. The Grub looks and works normal. Hope this helps.

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Atypical User » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Prsman wrote:By working desktop my desktop looks like Ubuntu. At the top left is Applications Places. On the desktop is Computer, Home, Trash. The back ground picture is one I selected. But nowhere do I have a terminal. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-F1. The Grub looks and works normal.
I had the same. I reached a terminal through Nemo: Double-click Home, right-click a folder and select "Open a terminal". Or click the Terminal button in the upper right if you have it enabled via Edit > Preferences > Toolbar > "Show open in terminal button".

The problem in every case here is NOT Cinnamon. Cinnamon crashing into fallback mode is just a symptom of the X server not working. You can check this by looking at the Xorg.0.log and syslog logs in the log viewer. (I can't tell you how to get there from the Applications menu because I no longer have the problem, but it should be one of the listed programs. Normally it's Administration > Log File Viewer.)

When the X server is not working properly, Cinnamon can't run. OpenGL programs can't run. But you can use any program that doesn't require complex graphics or special effects.

See jim-m's post for a useful guide (one might need to account for a different driver):
Updating to the newest drivers crashes cinnamon
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:23 pm

I just finished installing the old driver and now I am back! THANK YOU THANK YOU very much. :D :D :D :D
I did one change, after sudo apt-get autoremove i did sudo service mdm stop. Not needed I'm sure but I did it anyway.

My driver was 304.131-0unbuntu3 I'm running mint 18 cinnamon. Thanks again jim-m
I am making a copy of these instructions just in case and printing it out.

taytong888
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon crashes, I have a working desktop (SOLVED)

Post by taytong888 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:35 pm

I had the same problem of Cinnamon crashing. My temporary workaround was to switch to nouveau. Then I followed jim-m's direction by purging 304.132-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 and replacing it with 304.131-0ubuntu3, etc.

Code: Select all

sudo echo “nvidia-304 hold” | sudo dpkg --set-selections
dpkg: error: illegal package name at line 1: illegal package name in specifier '“nvidia-304': must start with an alphanumeric character
So I changed above line to:

sudo echo 'nvidia-304 hold' | sudo dpkg --set-selections
then rebooted. After reboot, Cinnamon no longer crashed, but Driver Manager still shows the following proprietary driver as being installed:

nvidia-304
version 304.132-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
NVIDIA legacy binary driver-version 304.132

Any ideas?

jim-m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jim-m » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:49 am

Driver-manager seems to build its list of available drivers from the latest repository rather than from what is actually installed - I ignored it.

owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 am

A bit late posting, but I had the same problem after an update yesterday (5 November); it wouldn't even let me shut down, I had to power-off. I tried several suggested solutions with no success, and eventually solved it by by going to Software Manager and selecting install Cinnamon. It didn't want the old one removed which suggests it was corrupted somewhere. It downloaded and installed smoothly and on restarting everything is perfect; it's 2.8.8+rosa although I didn't note what it was before.

Not sure why, I've never had problems with Cinnamon, but if you have this problem try re-installing Cinnamon from the Software Manager, simple and seems to sort it.

GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GSimpson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Reinstalling Cinnamon did not work for me. In any case the latest was installed. What did work.
(you need internet connection)
Boot in recovery mode
Open the driver manager
Select earlier driver
Reboot
HP Zbook
16GB ram

Return to “Cinnamon”