Cinnamon crashes on login - where to look?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
alexj
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon crashes on login - where to look?

Post by alexj » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:27 am

Hi,

Cinnamon crashes on login - it started after I installed the latest driver update, and continued after I upgraded to Sarah.

Switching to MATE didn't help - it works, but not stable at all.

Where to start? What logs to review/send?

Video: Nvidia GTX 970, however the laptop used in Intel mode
Laptop: Clevo P650SE

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon crashes on login - where to look?

Post by Atypical User » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:16 am

There are a couple problems with the latest update for those who have Nvidia drivers installed, even if they are not using those drivers. Something in Cinnamon conflicts with some new way to do something in the latest drivers, for one thing, and that issue has been addressed/fixed by Clem in the thread Cinnamon crashes after updating Nvidia driver to 367.57. There is also a problem in the latest drivers that is unrelated to the Cinnamon issue with mention of a possible problem resolution by the Nvidia driver devs forthcoming, and that is also discussed in that thread.

Look at the various similar threads in other forum sections as well. Some workarounds to be found there, like uninstalling the Nvidia drivers until this is fixed (a possibility for you because you can use the Intel drivers) or using the nomodeset boot option.

Quite a few of us have been there, so know that you have company. Hopefully you'll find a quick successful resolution.
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:04 am

Does it help, if you switch via driver manager to the nouveau driver?

alexj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexj » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Does it help, if you switch via driver manager to the nouveau driver?
It now works, thank you, relatively stable, but running hot as an oven.

alexj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexj » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Atypical User wrote: Look at the various similar threads in other forum sections as well. Some workarounds to be found there, like uninstalling the Nvidia drivers until this is fixed (a possibility for you because you can use the Intel drivers) or using the nomodeset boot option.
Thank you. Any information on how I can use Intel drivers?

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Atypical User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:36 am

alexj wrote:Any information on how I can use Intel drivers?
Well, from your "Linux Mint on Clevo P650RE" thread, I see you were already using the Intel drivers. I'm not an expert at anything here and I don't have LM 18 running anywhere here yet -- I'm happy with 17.3, the only hiccup being the incompatible Nvidia update -- so this advice might not be useful: it might bear researching if using a more recent kernel than 4.4 can give you better support for recent Intel CPU architectures like Skylake.

Also, I thought the nouveau drivers were for Nvidia, so if you are using them, you are not using the most optimized drivers for your Nvidia card. I see continuing progress made with the open-source drivers, but the Nvidia proprietary drivers worked better for me when I used Nvidia graphics.

Beyond that I can only repeat the advice I previously posted: Look at the other threads about this problem with the most recent Nvidia update. If I had your laptop, I'd go with the Intel drivers after deleting the Nvidia drivers, then look to see if I had the latest Intel drivers and if a later kernel would help. After the Nvidia confusion settles down enough, if I wanted to use the fixed Nvidia drivers/fixed OS support I would reinstall them at that time.

Your initial post suggests you were using an earlier version of Linux Mint without trouble until you had a driver update. You also mentioned using the Intel graphics. (That was so much like my situation that I posted my suggestions.) Maybe your system would work just fine again on an version of Linux Mint either earlier than Sarah with the 4.4 kernel and the Intel drivers (that is, return to what was working before the driver update) or waiting for Serena. Or both.

My current system is Intel Haswell-based and I've been using the Intel integrated graphics. I had drivers for Nvidia installed but there was no discrete graphics card in the PC at the time of the Nvidia update, so I was not expecting the driver update to cause so much trouble.
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

Return to “Cinnamon”