Lock screen / suspend is *still* making me nervous: Glitches and freezes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Lock screen / suspend is *still* making me nervous: Glitches and freezes

Post by fromWinToLin »

kyphi wrote:In "Screensaver", the setting is the standard cinnamon lock screen (default). The available "Lock settings" are both set to OFF.

It all seems to work as intended.
In our case, they're both set to "ON", hence it's a bug.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

Still happening, this time it's been a few instances where resuming from suspend allows me access without a password. There is not even a delay for the password prompt to display itself. I'm using my computer now, having just resumed from suspend bypassing the lockscreen / password prompt.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I'm getting the same issue. Desktop system with AMD Athlon 2 5400, 4 GB RAM, AMD Radeon X1950. Kernel 4.4.0-21-generic and the amd64-microcode ver. 2.20160316.1. There has been no hardware upgrades or BIOS setting changes other than adding to 1 TB hard drives a year ago.

I saw this problem start about Mint 17.3 and it only happened once every 3 or 4 months or so. The frequency increased to about once a month or so with Mint 18. I upgraded to Mint 18.1 yesterday and it has been occurring a couple of times a day.

I've had all three issues. 1) screen not locked after coming out of suspend. 2) screen locks anywhere from a few seconds to 15-20 seconds after coming out of suspend. 3) Black screen, monitor briefly comes out of suspend but goes back 5 seconds later due to no signal. A hardware reset is required to get the system back.

I've had issue 3 (black screen) a number of times today. I've turned of the screen saver and the automatic lock in an attempt to circumvent the issue.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

I have also seen these problems frequently. Most of the time, on resuming from suspend, I can see my desktop and open windows for about 0.5-1 second before the lock screen comes up. Occasionally (but much less often), the lock screen will freeze.

When I resumed today, the lock screen froze, but I was able to bypass it by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This does not seem like it should be possible. Upon getting past the login screen though, none of the fonts were loading, so I couldn't do much. I ended up just restarting the computer.

Mint 18.1 64-bit
Cinnamon 3.2.7
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

This issue still exists with a fully updated system.

Package version: cinnamon-screensaver 3.4.2
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

This thread can be continued here: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=274155

It seems as if the problems back from 2016 (Mint 18.x through 18.3) continue on with Mint 19.

Return to “Cinnamon”