Menu bar disapears when I unplug second screen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Menu bar disapears when I unplug second screen

Post by Petermint »

There are several display problems in LM 18.1 Cinnamon that did not occur in earlier versions. One is the menu bar disappears off the primary screen when I unplug a secondary screen.

My computer has a built in screen, a HDMI socket, and a VGA socket. I used to plug in and unplug screens without problems, perfect when presenting. Now the desktop fails on almost every change. The main problem is the menu disappears. There is no way to fix anything.

The desktop also fails if I close the lid, causing hibernation, then change the screen and open the computer. In this case Linux refuses to display anything anywhere.

The errors are erratic. I have problems producing a definitive pattern.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Menu bar disapears when I unplug second screen

Post by Petermint »

I am using LM 19 now and have not noticed the problem. It must be fixed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Menu bar disapears when I unplug second screen

Post by lsemmens »

Is it just something as simple as ensuring the menu is set as default to the wrong monitor. I use a TV as a secondary on on of my computers, and have a Dual monitor setup on another. The taskbar/menu is always set to the the default monitor and regardless of what I do with the other one, I can still access it.

OF course if you have an app that opens on the second monitor by default (sometimes a problem) then you may need to go into the settings to disable the secondary when you are not using it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Cinnamon”