Resize panel/taskbar for two rows?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Chromie
Level 1
Level 1

Resize panel/taskbar for two rows?

Postby Chromie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 am

In Windows, it's possible to resize the taskbar so there are two rows of icons. Very useful when there are a lot of windows open.

In Cinnamon, it seems that the panel can be made taller, but the icons just get larger. It stays with a single row. Any way to expand vertically to allow two rows of icons?

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Resize panel/taskbar for two rows?

Postby Cosmo. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 pm

No, this is not possible.

Chromie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Chromie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 am

Thanks, Cosmo. That would be a useful future addition. It's easy to end up with lots of windows open, and the single row limitation makes the icons difficult to discern.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:54 am

I agree, but it is not even in the roadmap considered.

orwel01
Level 1
Level 1

Postby orwel01 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 pm

I would also suggest to add this possibility. Linux Mint is on many web pages described as the best Linux distro for the change from Windows (for example therefor i choosed it). But this feature is really missing, which can make people switching from win to linux really disappointed (like me). I also wanted to switch to Linux in my small office, but this is one of few things which makes the switch from WIN to Linux really difficul and I use Linux only as parallel to win on 2 stations. A lot of win users use to resize the panel indeed.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:38 pm

There will always be a feature, where some users say, this is crucial, and another feature, where others say this is crucial. It is impossible, especially for a rather small team like Mint, to serve every wish. Further more I can imagine, that this feature might be likely to produce plenty of bugs; to sort them out needs much time.

Perhaps there comes the day, where this feature gets implemented. But don't hold your breath.

Interesting side note: Before vertical panel had been introduced in LM 18.1 there hade been a rather great number of users, who urgently wanted it. Now as we have it since 6 months it is astonishingly calm about it. This allows doubts about what is named as urgent and what is really urgent.

CH1291
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CH1291 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

As a possible solution to the OP, I'd like to be able to recommend vertical panel orientation (from Cinnamon 3.2), with a nicely stacked Windows List in a wide enough panel, just like the Windows Taskbar will do and has always done (for >20 yrs). But it doesn't really work very well yet, and Cinnamon 3.4 makes no mention of any improvements in this feature.
Is there any news on this? I don't see anything on the roadmap at github and I don't know where else to look. In the meantime, I'm being patient :-)
I guess the whole panel applet world needs to be "vertical aware" for it to work seamlessly, but, IMHO, I think the Windows List and Calendar applets should be at or near the top of the list.

I don't see the need for double row stacking in the panel either as today's screens are short enough already. Many applications, especially browsers or word processors are vertically orientated and "need" as much vertical space as possible. I've seen professional documenters with screens turned 90° (ie. portrait mode) to get the height for writing.

Sorry it's no solution now, but hopefully a solution in the nearer future?

Sidenote @Cosmo, perhaps the "calmness" about vertical panels is disappointment at the implementation? - many were. But I totally agree it's hardly "urgent", though a "very nice to have" to compete with the Windows Taskbar functionality. I normally use a (v. old) dual 4:3 screen set up, but the FullHD notebook I just bought is screaming out for a (fully functional) vertical panel ;-)

Return to “Cinnamon”