Time Messed Up In A Dual Boot Installation

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vw98075

Time Messed Up In A Dual Boot Installation

Post by vw98075 »

After installing 18.1 Cinnamon as a Windows and Linux dual boot, I notice another issue other than the Windows was not shown in the menu. The time on Linux Mint was not correct first. I set it to the right time zone (with the network connection). After going back to Windows 10, I notice the time is 7 hours behind the correct time, the one on Linux Mint. I can't see how to solve this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Time Messed Up In A Dual Boot Installation

Post by Penn »

Will this help viewtopic.php?f=90&t=240083&p=1281474 starting with MintO's response?
vw98075

Post by vw98075 »

Thanks for the information. I need to make some changes either on Linux Mint or on Windows 10.
greyskier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by greyskier »

You are probably running 18.1 Cinnamon in UTC(Coordinated Universal Time) mode rather than RTC(Real Time Clock). Try this command
>timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
tinny123

Post by tinny123 »

greyskier wrote:You are probably running 18.1 Cinnamon in UTC(Coordinated Universal Time) mode rather than RTC(Real Time Clock). Try this command
>timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

Please eli5 :( :?:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tinny123 wrote: Please eli5 :( :?:
Sorry, what does that mean?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
tinny123

Post by tinny123 »

Moem wrote:
tinny123 wrote: Please eli5 :( :?:
Sorry, what does that mean?
eli5=Explain Like I'm five
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Really? I would never have guessed. Thank you for explaining that to me like I'm 48. :wink:

Anyway, when someone gives you a command such as

Code: Select all

timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
... that is meant to go into a terminal. You can open a terminal from the menu and copypaste it into that; note that ctrl+v does not work in a terminal, but you can use ctrl+v+shift, or use a rightclick and choose 'paste'.

Now if you were five, I would have said 'Better let your parents handle it'. This is how I'd explain it to an adult who is new to Linux. Don't sell yourself short. And please use plain English; this is an international forum with people from many different backgrounds, countries, and walks of life. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Someone probably already supplied the fix but wanted to add some related junk in case not.

File someone can edit(as root or with sudo) /etc/adjtime if when you open the file it says UTC change it to LOCAL instead.

Ntp should be running by default and setting your time from servers online, though you do need to make sure it's setup for local/rtc and not UTC.

Not sure what Mint release or desktop you're using but certainly there are going to be gui tools to set things like time/date in it.

Some cli ways to adjust the clock in terminal, Jmo but easier to mess with this stuff as root, so in terminal make your user root, typing any of the following w/o quotes, "su", "sudo su", "sudo -i"

Type "date", it'll output the systems date and time in the 24hr(military time) format. You can set the time with "date --set 18:23:00" goes 18(hour):23(min):00(secs), so in that example I'd be setting it to 6:23pm.

Another handy terminal cmd is hwclock, imo --hctosys and --systohc can be useful. Really it's easier to deal with this stuff with whatever gui tools Mint included in the OS, important thing is that your Mint install knows you want to be setup in rtc/local and not UTC, if that's what your system is setup to use.

2cents.
tinny123

Post by tinny123 »

Moem wrote:Really? I would never have guessed. Thank you for explaining that to me like I'm 48. :wink:

Anyway, when someone gives you a command such as

... that is meant to go into a terminal. You can open a terminal from the menu and copypaste it into that; note that ctrl+v does not work in a terminal, but you can use ctrl+v+shift, or use a rightclick and choose 'paste'.

Now if you were five, I would have said 'Better let your parents handle it'. This is how I'd explain it to an adult who is new to Linux. Don't sell yourself short. And please use plain English; this is an international forum with people from many different backgrounds, countries, and walks of life. Thanks!
Ah the famous dutch bluntness! anyway eli5 is a pretty common expression.It means to explain to someone like they are a noob. Like BRB or BTW have become pretty universal acronyms. Thank You for yr response
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tinny123 wrote:anyway eli5 is a pretty common expression.
Not in my circles, and I spend a lot of time on the internet. It can't be that universal or I would have heard of it. I stand with my request to kindly not use it here.
Anyway, did the command work? If not, please tell us what exact version of Mint you're using (inclising the DE), so we can help you better.

OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OmegaD »

greyskier wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 pmTry this command

Worked for me. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Pro Tip!

Boot the OS which has the time the most "ahead" - then if you make a mistake, you can boot the other OS and correct the mistake before it happened.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Cinnamon”