Cinnamon menu opens on wrong monitor

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farmfield

Cinnamon menu opens on wrong monitor

Post by farmfield »

So I got this amazingly annoying issue where the menu on the right (secondary monitor) opens when I click super and I need to click again to open it on my primary monitor.

And don't think I haven't tried everything before posting here, hehe, deleted and added the menu on both panels, deleting and making new panels, etc, but for some reason super will always open the menu on the second monitor first.

So, anyone know what's going on? Probably something really simple. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
farmfield

Re: Cinnamon menu opens on wrong monitor

Post by farmfield »

Hehe, wow, no one had this issue?

Maybe it's a curse. I even tried switching the monitor ports and then shifting the monitors in the display options - and it still it opens on my right monitor. How is that even possible? xD
Palladini971

Post by Palladini971 »

Open your systems Settings, scroll down to display and you can set primary and secondary monitors there.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I've not had the menu do this, but have been experiencing it with drop down context menus appearing on the other monitor in Firefox. Not sure if that might be related. Other windows in some cases tend to open on whichever monitor the mouse pointer is on.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
farmfield

Post by farmfield »

BG405 wrote:I've not had the menu do this, but have been experiencing it with drop down context menus appearing on the other monitor in Firefox. Not sure if that might be related. Other windows in some cases tend to open on whichever monitor the mouse pointer is on.
Today Cinnamon crashed and I had to mess around with the menus, and suddenly it works as it should. It's gonna be interesting to see if it'll stick or if it's gonna break with the next reboot. :D
outofs1gh7

Post by outofs1gh7 »

I'm also having this issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

We've seen occasional reports of this before but have never been able to reproduce it. Could you supply a bit more info? Cinnamon --version, The menu is located on the left (primary monitor) but first shows on the right (secondary)? What are the screen resolutions? Where is the applet located in the panel? The left or right side? Is it a top or bottom panel?

@farmfield Cool to see you're using Houdini. I was a total amateur but Houdini was the reason I tried linux in the first place. Never looked back :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
outofs1gh7

Post by outofs1gh7 »

I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit with Cinnamon Version 3.6.7.

Desktop setup:
- Monitor on the left is the laptop monitor. (Primary Monitor)
- Monitor on the right is an external monitor. (Secondary Monitor)
- Each monitor has one bottom panel and both panels have a menu applet on the left side.
- Both screens run at 1920x1080(16:9) resolution.

Here's a print screen I took of my desktop. https://i.imgur.com/1HDE4Kn.jpg

When I press the superkey, the menu on the secondary monitor opens, and only if I press again, will it open on my primary monitor. What I want is the opposite, meaning that the superkey should open the menu first on the primary monitor, and only if I press it again, it would open the menu on the secondary monitor.

Display settings: https://i.imgur.com/lomoxci.jpg

I also uploaded all my system info here> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/9c76a ... 7dc8c17d4f
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

- Each monitor has one bottom panel and both panels have a menu applet on the left side.
Ok. I thought the menu was misplaced when it opened. Thanks for providing more info.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
outofs1gh7

Post by outofs1gh7 »

I think I found the solution. It worked for me.

- First, I removed all the menu applets I had on my desktop. I had two panels, one on each monitor, and each panel had one menu applet.
- After removing both menu applets, I added a menu applet on my secondary monitor.
- Then I added another menu applet on the primary monitor.

Now when I press the super key (Super L) the menu on my primary monitor opens up, and if I press it again, the menu on the secondary opens. Just what I wanted.
JosephM wrote:We've seen occasional reports of this before but have never been able to reproduce it.
After fixing the issue I tried "breaking it" again, and so what I did was the reverse:

- Removed all the menu applets
- Added a menu on the primary monitor
- Then added another menu on the secondary monitor.

So if you have a similar desktop setup and want to open a menu on a certain monitor (let's call it monitor x), you first have to add a menu on the other monitor (monitor y) and after that add the menu on the monitor x.
ignitus

Post by ignitus »

Do your two monitors have different resolutions or appear in non contiguous layouts? I get a very interesting issue regarding contexts menu's when I rotate a monitor clockwise. Basically, all context menu stretch and appear detached from the cursor due to a bug in the offset code when calculating the mouse cursor. Everything else works fine, but any context menu (file,edit,help) and all right click menu's are rendered incorrectly.

The only fix I have found is the make sure all monitors share a common Y origin. No monitor can have its 0,0 coordinate in the middle of another monitor. Basically, they should appear as a straight line in the Display Utility
outofs1gh7

Post by outofs1gh7 »

ignitus wrote:Do your two monitors have different resolutions or appear in non contiguous layouts?
Both of my monitors run at 1920x1080 natively, and are in close proximity (if that's what you mean by non-contiguos).
ignitus wrote:I get a very interesting issue regarding contexts menu's when I rotate a monitor clockwise. Basically, all context menu stretch and appear detached from the cursor due to a bug in the offset code when calculating the mouse cursor. Everything else works fine, but any context menu (file,edit,help) and all right click menu's are rendered incorrectly.
I've never had that issue but.. I've only been using Linux for 5 days. :D
pinnerite
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pinnerite »

I am using Cinnamon on 18.3 with two monitors running from separate but identical Ati/AMD graphic cards.
Mint displays on both screens but the control applet only shows the primary (right hand screen).
That is fine.
BUT the cursor cannot be moved to the left to get to the left hand screen. It has to move to the right and then appears o the left hand edge of the left screen.
I would like to cure that.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You could just unplug each monitor and swap the plugs.

Or look in [Settings] under [Hardware] [Display].
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

pinnerite wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am the cursor cannot be moved to the left to get to the left hand screen. It has to move to the right and then appears o the left hand edge of the left screen.
In the Cinnamon display applet, you should be able to drag the primary monitor to the right. That's the way I have mine set up. Note the icons will probably move to the left monitor but the panel will stay where it is.

Also of note: I've added a panel to the left (secondary) monitor, with Menu and applications. The apps are always shown in the panel on which monitor they reside. Adding the second menu appears to have disabled the left Super key; the right key opens the menu on primary (right) whereas the left does nothing now. Menus open OK on either screen with mouse click.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
lamar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lamar »

I had a similar problem and after pulling my hair out for a week, I found in the startup applications the cinnamon settings daemon - xrandr was not on. This is in cinnamon 19.
lamar

Return to “Cinnamon”