Gdk-Pixbuf error crashing Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uk_ux

Gdk-Pixbuf error crashing Cinnamon

Post by uk_ux »

So I tried to install gimp 2.9.2 which lead to a couple of dependency issues needed to be resolved. One of those was a newer version of gdk-pixbuf. So I installed gdk-pixbuf-2.34.0. That however apparently didn’t go well. Whenever I try to start Cinnamon it crashes, going to fallback mode. My syslog shows lots and lots of these:

Code: Select all

mdmwebkit[2089]: GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion ‘GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)’ failed
So I used apt to reinstall the gdk-pixbuf package, but that didn’t help.
Since this is apparently a critical package I ‘d appreciate some advice before I continue messing up my system :)
I’m running LinuxMint 17.2 (rafaela), 3.16.0-38-generic kernel.
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Gdk-Pixbuf error crashing Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. »

Replacing a system critical library is mostly good for damaging the system beyond repair. You have obviously not watched the warning you got, when you tried to replace the library. "Beyond repair" means: Install new. Before you do this backup all of your user data, they might get lost.
uk_ux

Post by uk_ux »

Thanks for your reply! In fact there was no warning when I installed gdk-pixbuf-2.34.0. Do you really think the system is damaged beyond repair? I have now installed mate desktop, which I am using right now, and all applications are running just fine. To me it looks like it's just Cinnamon that's problematic. I'd rather get it working again though instead of sticking to mate. Any ideas? Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

uk_ux wrote:Do you really think the system is damaged beyond repair?
Yes. I did take a look what would happen, if I remove the said package and found out (in a simulation), that half of the system will get removed. That means, that they depend from those package and especially GTK related packages are very sensitive regarding the the version, where they have been compiled against.

By installing another DE into the system you have made things possibly even more serious. So no doubt, installing new is the way to go - and also the quickest solution.

Side note: The kernel in Mint 17.2 (and 17.3) has reached its end of life some months ago. So I recommend to install Mint 17 or 17.1 (both use a LTS kernel) and than upgrade to 17.3, if you want to stick with the 17.x series (not a bad idea).
uk_ux

Post by uk_ux »

Hmm, messing with gtk probably wasn't the best idea :) I guess I'll try to move up to 18 then, aptik is already running. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Cinnamon”