[Solved] GNOME's Nautilus took over default functions from Nemo

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] GNOME's Nautilus took over default functions from Nemo

Post by DaveJones »

Hi all,

I run latest LM18.1 with everything updated. I also have a bunch of GNOME applications and I guess one of them installed GNOME's Nautilus FM a while back. One thing that annoys me a lot is that Nautilus is sometimes opened instead of Nemo.

For example, if I click on the Trash applet in the panel, Nautilus is opened and not Nemo. If I open a file path from the command line with xdg-open, Nautilus is again opened and not Nemo.

I did a ton of research on this before I made this post and I was not able to figure out how to set Nemo so it's default for everything file-related again. I thought that some of the MIME settings were wrong but after doing some digging and checking the mimeinfo.cache manually, nemo's set before Nautilus on everything. Even when I query from the command line, nemo seems to be the prefered FM to handle things. For example:

Code: Select all

$ xdg-mime query default inode/directory
nemo.desktop

But if I do "gio open .", it will open it in Nautilus.

Is anyone familiar how GNOME works and how to change preferences for file management? How could I regain control again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: GNOME's Nautilus took over default functions from Nemo

Post by Cosmo. »

DaveJones wrote:I guess one of them installed GNOME's Nautilus FM a while back.
You should watch, what you are doing.

Try this:
Open the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list in your text editor and add those lines:

Code: Select all

inode/directory=nemo.desktop
x-directory/normal=nemo.desktop
Reboot.
Good luck. (No promise because out of obvious reasons not tested.)
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GNOME's Nautilus took over default functions from Nemo

Post by DaveJones »

Thank you!!! That solved it!

Return to “Cinnamon”