Put to sleep from locked screen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwazy
Level 1
Level 1

Put to sleep from locked screen

Post by kwazy »

Hi,

I have configured power button and close lid to put my laptop to sleep. But when screen is locked both them are ignored. Currently I have to unlock the screen to be able to put to sleep again.

Is it possible to change some setting so I can put to sleep directly from locked screen without typing in the password?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Put to sleep from locked screen

Post by Cosmo. »

You can try this:

From the lock screen go directly to the login window. There is an icon at the top right, where you can reach several actions, one of them is to suspend. (Not tested)
kwazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwazy »

There is an icon at the right top, like a message bubble with a number and exclamation mark. But when I click it - nothing happens
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do we speak about the same icon? It should look similar to this (but not colored). A classical power off icon, as it also gets used on the power button of some devices (e. g. my laptop has ot on the power button).
kwazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwazy »

No, there is no such icon. All I see is that message bubble, unlock and switch user:
2r.jpg
1r.jpg
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What you show is the lock screen, not the login window. You can reach the login window by clicking the icon, which is to be seen in your second picture at the top most right.

BTW: The message bubble with the number is an indicator, how many messages from the system or the one or other program had been collected. Out of privacy reasons they can only be read inside of the logged in desktop. You will find in the panel a similar icon, which you can click to read the messages.
kwazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwazy »

Ok, now I see which button you are talking about. This button is called "Switch user'. When I click it it takes about 5 seconds to load the login screen, where I can click another icon and select Suspend. So totally: click + 5 sec + 2 clicks. Pretty much the same as to type in my password and then press hardware Power button

What I'm looking for is a hack to be able to put to sleep using the hardware power button. So I can do it instantly without typing or clicking anything. It is already configured and works fine, but not on the lock screen. There is some software interrupt here which discards Power button event. Since it is software - I want to disable this interrupt

Would be great if someone can point which area I need to hack or recompile to make the Power button work on the lock screen
kwazy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwazy »

Resolved in Linux Mint 19.1

Return to “Cinnamon”