Desktop Icon URL Shortcuts

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Desktop Icon URL Shortcuts

Post by JerryF »

Is there any way to change the icon that is created when dragging a URL to the desktop to a different default icon? I know that I can change each icon individually, but would like to have the icon match the browser that the URL came from.

As an example, this is the icon that normally gets created:
Capture_008.jpg
When I use Chrome, I'd like to have this icon created when I drag a URL to the desktop:
Capture_009.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Desktop Icon URL Shortcuts

Post by xenopeek »

AFAIK the web browsers create these files and set the icon to use themselves. From both Firefox and Chromium a file like the following is created:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Link to Main Page - Linux Mint
Type=Link
URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/
Icon=text-html
The last line doesn't let you distinguish between origin browsers. Changing the icon for "text-html" would also change the icon for any actual HTML documents (like if you save a page of a website to disk). The link overlay on the icon is done because Type=Link.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Thanks xenopeek.
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread. I can't find one that addresses my issue only partially this. I'll try to explain it as simple as possible.

Like the above, I take a shortcut from the address bar and save it to the desktop. I then keep them in a folder. When I click some of them they automatically open up my browser. But...there are many times when they do not. What happens is this: The desktop goes blank and everything vanishes causing me to make a restart.

It happens even on the link to this forum! I have checked the 'Properties' on the icon and here are two example of what I mean. One working and one killing all icons and not working.

Working Icon Shortcut Properties Shows

Name: Link to FAQs & Troubleshooting | HL-L2340DW | Australia | Brother
Type: Text (text/html)
Size: 3.3kb (3252 bytes)
Volume: Unknown

Not Working Icon Shortcut Properties Shows

Name: Link to Brother HL-L2340DW - Linux Mint Forums
Type: Unknown
Size: Unknown
Volume: Unknown
Accessed: Unknown
Modified: Unknown

Both icons are identical and both are dragged from the address bar using the same browser. At the moment I have to go to properties and copy the title and paste into the browser to get to the site. Does anybody know what is causing this? And finally, how can I get back to showing all on the desktop instead of having to re-boot.

Thank You for reading the post. If I have put it in the wrong place I will repost in the proper place.

p.s. Any way to remove the words "Link to" so that it only shows the title of the web page saved?
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire

Return to “Cinnamon”