Login window

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jacq1956

Login window

Post by Jacq1956 »

I changed my login window, and since then , i can't get access to my account. Instead, every time i get back into the same user account, and then try to change user to my account or logout, i get back to that same account. The login window is kind of ''bypassed''. I tried to change options in the login window manager user, but i can't open it, seems to be a root duty. Is ther a way to fix it.
Thank you for support.
Jacques
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Login window

Post by Cosmo. »

Please describe it in more detail.

What I understood at now:
You have 2 accounts, one works, the other not.
Which is the working one, the one that you created, when you installed the system?

Do you say, that in the situation, where you log out, you get immediately back into this account?
Jacq1956

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:Please describe it in more detail.

What I understood at now:
You have 2 accounts, one works, the other not.
Which is the working one, the one that you created, when you installed the system?

Do you say, that in the situation, where you log out, you get immediately back into this account?
Yes, exactly. The working one is a user account, and i am the admin and i can't get in my account.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Once again:
Cosmo. wrote:Which is the working one, the one that you created, when you installed the system?
Jacq1956

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:Once again:
Cosmo. wrote:Which is the working one, the one that you created, when you installed the system?
No, it would be easier if it was in an admin acccount. Now i'm in regular user account, that's why i can't get access to the login window manager.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I am still in the process trying to understand, what exactly is the status of your system. What I understood now is:
Your main account works perfect.
Your user account gives the problem, that if you click to log out, you get thrown back into this account.

So far correct? Otherwise correct me.

Another question: What exactly did you change for the login window? What happens, if you revert back?
Jacq1956

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:I am still in the process trying to understand, what exactly is the status of your system. What I understood now is:
Your main account works perfect.
Your user account gives the problem, that if you click to log out, you get thrown back into this account.

So far correct? Otherwise correct me.

Another question: What exactly did you change for the login window? What happens, if you revert back?
No, i can't get to my account.
The problem is whith my own account which is the admin account. What i did is in my login window manager, i changed the login window, log out, and instead of going to login window, i got into user account (which is not mine), and now i cant't get back to my account (which is the admin account).
Thank you for support.
Jacques
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Jacq1956/Cosmo,

Curiously enough, had the same issue on my HP laptop this morning. Previously, I ran in to this issue when switching login display screenshot. I had previously (a few months ago) tried changing my login screen from theme "Autum"[GDM], to "Synergy"[HTML]. Wouldn't let main user/admin log in, and kept auto-logging in a secondary user that doesn't use the laptop. Was able to change it back to the Autum Theme, and all worked well.

Now today, read this post originally this morning, and went to look at something on that laptop, and found it to be in the same condition the OP is describing I believe. Start up gets me to the login screen with no problem. Log in name and password works for all accounts; it will tell you "incorrect user name or password" if you enter info wrong. When entering user name/password, it appears as if it is going to start, then you very briefly see the two screens of data come by, that I captured with video as they are only there for about a second (I believe these always flash by on the normal start ups), the the spinning wheel comes up as if to continue starting for about another second, then, you land back at the login in screen display again. Does not matter which user you try-- all same result.

I looked at my mdm.conf file in tty mode, and found that it had two Theme entries; the Autum theme, and then a section for HTML theme, which was the Synergy one I tried some months ago. This machine has been off for a week, and had not restarted since last update until this morning.

(EDIT: I had edited out the Synergy/HTML entry from mdm.conf and rebooted...no difference)

Hope I am not interjecting too much into the OPs post--just odd the nearly identical (as I see it) problem came up on the same day. First time it happened just with a persistent auto login to another account against my wishes, now today no Cinnamon login at all--but tty's are good.
image3.JPG
image2.JPG
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Jacq1956 wrote:No, i can't get to my account.
The problem is whith my own account which is the admin account. What i did is in my login window manager, i changed the login window, log out, and instead of going to login window, i got into user account (which is not mine), and now i cant't get back to my account (which is the admin account).
I am still confused.

I reiterate with my words:
You cannot leave the user account. So far so clear. But from my understanding I do not see, where the main account has a problem (once you are in).

With this understanding: Reboot the machine and log into the main account. Then revert your login screen changes,
Jacq1956

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:
Jacq1956 wrote:No, i can't get to my account.
I am still confused.

I reiterate with my words:
You cannot leave the user account. So far so clear. But from my understanding I do not see, where the main account has a problem (once you are in).

With this understanding: Reboot the machine and log into the main account. Then revert your login screen changes,

I'm not in the main acccount, i'm in another user account. I try to get back to the main account. Each time i try to logout from this account, i get right back to that same account, which is not the main account, not my account. There's no login screen in between, and if i reboot, i login the same account (not the main).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This sounds, as if auto-login is enabled.

Do this:
Press ctrl-alt-F1. This will bring you to a virtual console. Login in there with your main account. Note, that there is no visual feedback, if you enter the password; enter it blindly, than press the Enter key. Now enter this command:

Code: Select all

sudo -H nano /etc/mdm/mdm.conf
Scroll down until you see the line saying AutomaticLoginEnable=true; replace true with false, than save the file. Close the editor, than press ctrl-d. Now reboot. Auto-login is disabled now and you should see the login screen, so that you can log into your main account.
Now revert the login screen settings, that you did.
Jacq1956

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:This sounds, as if auto-login is enabled.

Do this:
Press ctrl-alt-F1. This will bring you to a virtual console. Login in there with your main account. Note, that there is no visual feedback, if you enter the password; enter it blindly, than press the Enter key. Now enter this command:

Code: Select all

sudo -H nano /etc/mdm/mdm.conf
Scroll down until you see the line saying AutomaticLoginEnable=true; replace true with false, than save the file. Close the editor, than press ctrl-d. Now reboot. Auto-login is disabled now and you should see the login screen, so that you can log into your main account.
Now revert the login screen settings, that you did.
There was no ''AutomaticLoginEnable'' on that file. look at the attached file, but i think we're in the right way.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no attached file to be seen. I also do not understand, how you can get automatically logged in, if autologin is disabled.
Jacq1956

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:There is no attached file to be seen. I also do not understand, how you can get automatically logged in, if autologin is disabled.
I mean there is nothing in the .conf file that looks like 'automaticloginenable' .
Is something in the ''Sinergy'' login screen missing, or can we change the login screen from the terrminal in root mode?
I put the attached file in attachments
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The file mdm.conf has by default no active entries. Only comments for documentation - they start with a # - and the groups - that are the lines in between brackets []. So you can remove all other lines to go back to default. Then reboot and try again.

What you did, to make autologin active without having set it, is over my head. So I do not promise anything.
Jacq1956

Solved Re: Login window

Post by Jacq1956 »

Cosmo. wrote:The file mdm.conf has by default no active entries. Only comments for documentation - they start with a # - and the groups - that are the lines in between brackets []. So you can remove all other lines to go back to default. Then reboot and try again.

What you did, to make autologin active without having set it, is over my head. So I do not promise anything.
You're great! That was the solution. But don't ask me the way made it.
Thank you.
Jacques
Jacq1956

Re: Solved Re: Login window

Post by Jacq1956 »

Jacq1956 wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:The file mdm.conf has by default no active entries. Only comments for documentation - they start with a # - and the groups - that are the lines in between brackets []. So you can remove all other lines to go back to default. Then reboot and try again.

You're great! That was the solution. But don't ask me the way I made it.
Thank you very much.
Jacques
arupdan93

Post by arupdan93 »

thank you very much. you saved my night. thanks.
dan

Return to “Cinnamon”