[solved]New LightDM Login in LM 18.2 (Beta)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Seantum

[solved]New LightDM Login in LM 18.2 (Beta)

Post by Seantum »

Hi,

I really like the new LightDM in Linux Mint. I've been testing Linux Mint 18.2 in VB for quite a while now. :)

But what I really'd like to know is, where does LightDM save the "Draw user backgrounds"? - Compared to Ubuntu 17.04, LM's LightDM seems to be quite different, because drawing user backgrounds actually works in LM (It's probably the first ubuntu-based distro where this works!). - Also the programme LightDM-GTK+-settings cannot be started (so I uninstalled it again).

I've checked "draw user backgrounds" is not saved in the usual config files (/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/99_linuxmint.conf, nor in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70_linuxmint.conf). - In 99_linuxmint.conf "user-background" is even set to false.

Seantum
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: New LightDM Login in LM 18.2 (Beta)

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Seantum.

Any bug report about Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon (Beta) should be posted in the blog, please:
Linux Mint 18.2 “Sonya” Cinnamon – BETA Release, see section about "Bug reports".
The Linux Mint (Cinnamon) developers will not search the Mint forums for bug reports.
Posting bug reports about Mint 18.2 here is kind of in vain consequently.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Seantum

Post by Seantum »

While I do have a bug report (thanks for the link therefore, I'll post it afterwards), this post here is acutually not a bug report.

I am just wondering where the setting "Draw user backgrounds" is saved, since Ubuntu 17.04 also uses LightDM, but there LightDM doesn't copy the user background (desktop wallpaper) to LightDM. - I probably posted in the wrong section - feel free to move my thread accordingly.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It gets stored in the file slick-greeter.conf.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Most of the settings are stored as gsettings keys. You can find them under x.dm.slick-greeter in dconf-editor.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Joseph, there is something strange.

I have in my slick-greeter.conf file this entry draw-user-backgrounds=false. This file is not created and not edited manually, but with the settings GUI.
But in dconf I see the same value as enabled. This is apparently the default value and it seems, that the settings GUI does not touch it.

Actually user-backgrounds do not appear in the login screen, so obviously the setting in the file supersede the dconf-setting.
Seantum

Post by Seantum »

Thank you for your help. - I found both files (/etc/lightdm and /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/90-slick-greeter.conf).

@cosmo:
My file correctly states draw-user-backgrounds=true.

Does your LightDM draw your user background then?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [solved]New LightDM Login in LM 18.2 (Beta)

Post by JosephM »

I haven't followed the slick-greeter dev really closely. I do know there are still things being tweaked/changed here though. It was kind of to be expected with it being brand new. Very few people outside the dev group had used it yet and stumbled on the potential issues.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Seantum wrote:My file correctly states draw-user-backgrounds=true.

Does your LightDM draw your user background then?
Yes it does. Why do you ask?

What does not work or what I possibly cannot figure out how to use it is the background logo. Instead of repeating, what I wrote about that yesterday I point you to my post regarding my question about it (which Pjotr impolitely simply ignored).
Seantum

Post by Seantum »

Hi @Cosmo,

in Manjaro LightDM works a bit differently. LM uses the slick-greeter, and in the meantime you can install it in Manjaro also.
Everything works now, but _drawing user background_ still doesn't work in Manjaro, since this feature in the Slick-greeter settings Manager is only designed for Ubuntu, Linux Mint and elementary OS.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I only referred to LM, as given in the title of the thread.

Return to “Cinnamon”