Add lines in panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarshalM

Add lines in panel

Post by MarshalM »

Hey,
I was wondering if I can change the number of lines in my bottom panel. I would like to add a new line in panel, to get date under clock. Is this possible?
I'm using Mint Cinnamon 64-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Add lines in panel

Post by Cosmo. »

No, this is not possible. But you can have more than 1 panel, at least 2, possibly 4 (this depends from the unknown version of your Mint), each on a separate border of the desktop.
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

I was afraid of this:(
Thanks for advice, but i know, that I can add a new panel somewhere else;)
And maybe there is a way to highlight or bold or something else to do with my aplet?
For now i defined date format as %Y-%m-%d %H:%M. Is there any way to for example bold only time without date?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It seems, that you now speak about the calendar applet. (Some more description would help for better understanding.) No, you can format there only, what it shall show in which order, but not how (bold, colored, ...).
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

Yes, in my last post i was thinking about calendar applet, which i can see in my bottom panel.
All my questions is, because i would like to have a date under time in calendar applet in bottom panel.
Then when You said me, that is not impossible, I asked about bold, highlight or color, what could help me easier distinguish time from date in applet.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I have added the seconds display (code %S) and I find it easy to read the time, where every second the value changes.

Perhaps it helps also, if you add a second instance of the applet, one on each edge of the panel, one showing the date only, the other one only the time.
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

That's some solution, but it's a pity that there is no way to put the date under the time.
However, thanks for your advices:)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can, in fact, display the date on a second line under the time using the new line command, %n, but it might not display correctly, depending on the size of your Panel and the size of the font you are using.
If you want the date under the time, use:

Code: Select all

%H:%M %n %Y-%m-%d
I use am/pm like this:

Code: Select all

%l:%M %p %n %m/%d/%Y
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Alternatively, you might like the Clock Desklet.
Set the time/calendar corner as a Hot Corner to display the Desktop, and add the Clock Desklet to the Desktop.
clock2.jpg
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MarshalM

Post by MarshalM »

Thanks for advice austin.texas. It was just greate:)
when i added a '%n' to my calendar applet i got what i wanted to;)
of course i had to change a size of my panel, but it was a piece of cake:)

and about the clock desklet i know about it and use it for very long time ago;)
but thats also is a same idea;)

so one more time, thanks a lot;)

Return to “Cinnamon”