[SOLVED?] Cinnamon halts after several Suspend sessions

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED?] Cinnamon halts after several Suspend sessions

Post by tkocou »

I like to be able to suspend the machine to save on power while not using it. Why not power off the machine? The startup from the suspend mode is a whole lot quicker than from a cold start. What I have found is that after 4 (or maybe 5) startups from the suspend mode, the cinnamon desktop (not Linux Mint itself) comes to a halt. After switching to a console and logging in, I run a "ps ax" command and find an insane number of [kworker/u16:*] (138) running as compared to a normal cold start (2). A "sudo reboot" command resets the kworkers to the normal amount.
So, my question to the gurus here at Linux Mint: How do I report this finding for a potential fix?

Update:

After digging around the Linux Mint forum postings, I found a post referencing the use of the "perf" command. "perf" revealed that the kernel threads handling the wireless connectivity were multipling upon waking up from each suspend session. Eventually enough threads were created to affect the cinnamon desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Cinnamon”