<Solved> Desktop Icons - Sizing and moving Icons

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

<Solved> Desktop Icons - Sizing and moving Icons

Post by TopEnder »

G'Day All and Thanks in advance.

Just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2, can not resize Desktop Icons or move the Icons on the Desktop. Has this capability been changed of removed from Cinnamon 18.2, Smokey (TopEnder)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Desktop Icons - Sizing and moving Icons

Post by Cosmo. »

Right click the desktop on an empty place -> desktop submenu gives you the needed commands. You need to disable the auto-arrange feature.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Desktop Icons - Sizing and moving Icons

Post by TopEnder »

Cosmo, What can one say you always come up with the solution, Thanks Smokey
smudge
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <Solved> Desktop Icons - Sizing and moving Icons

Post by smudge »

This doesn't work for me, all I see right-clicking are three options, Desktop Settings, Change Desktop Background and Add Desklets.

Under desktop settings I only have the ability to show or hide icons and select which monitor to display them on. There's nothing about resizing or moving them. All icons are locked to a grid..
Been a hard core Linux and FOSS user since mid '90s. Enjoy pen-testing, OSINT and user privacy. Mint, CentOS, Arch, Kali, and Parrot distros. Started with Mandrake and Suse before Redhat then Fedora. Must post more..
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Enable desktop icons first in Desktop Settings.

Then you'll have more options on the right-click menu.

Beware that (at least on 18.3) Icon View default size in Nemo preferences overrides icon size set via the desktop context menu after a reboot / Cinnamon restart.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
oldhwguy

Post by oldhwguy »

I am missing line items in pop-up window: Running clean install Mint 18.3 - I do not have the same line items visible in the Right-Click pop-up menu. I am trying to enable desktop auto-arrange & align to grid with HORIZONTAL - as show in the image in previous post. When I right-click, the pop-up menu does NOT show the Desktop Settings line, or the Desktop line below that - OR the menu to the right of the initial pop-up menu. I looked in Control Center & found Desktop Settings in the Look and Feel section, and all 5 icon checkboxes are checked. I restarted PC after making any changes. I did not see other checkbox options that seemed related to this. What am I doing wrong ?
BorrowedWifi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BorrowedWifi »

x64 Mint 18.3 Sylvia Mate

Right click a desktop icon, and you get an option to "Resize Icon..." which you can click, and then grab a bounding box that appears around the icon in question (not all of them, you only get to do this one at a time so far as I've been able to tell), which you can drag to resize.

Kind of clumsy, but it works well enough, or at least it does for me.

Hope this helps.
nyuwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nyuwa »

oldhwguy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 am When I right-click, the pop-up menu does NOT show the Desktop Settings line, or the Desktop line below that - OR the menu to the right of the initial pop-up menu. I looked in Control Center & found Desktop Settings in the Look and Feel section, and all 5 icon checkboxes are checked.
I am having similar troubles in Mint 19.2. Before the right-click menu showed "Desktop" with "Auto arrange" and "Align to grid" in the submenu. Now the desktop is called "Customize" and the submenu contains ONLY "Auto arrange".
Where can I find this "Align to grid" and disable it?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

nyuwa wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 pm I am having similar troubles in Mint 19.2. Before the right-click menu showed "Desktop" with "Auto arrange" and "Align to grid" in the submenu. Now the desktop is called "Customize" and the submenu contains ONLY "Auto arrange".
It's a deprecated and unsupported feature so no longer accessible via the GUI - but you can still disable align to grid via dconf-editor or with the command line

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid false
Once you've done that you lose the Customise entry from the right click menu, but you gain a Keep Aligned checkbox. Uncheck.

Icon default size will be the same as set for the default for Icon view in Nemo Preferences. Icons can be individually resized via a right click.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

This is getting ridiculous, Two hours searching for where to move the desktop icons, get them OFF the grid. Then once I've found them , BANK everything gets slammed over to the far left side of my screen. Do you want them organized Vertically or Horizontally ????? BANG, Slammed back over to the side again.
Resize the grid, BANK AGAIN...............
YES the button to TURN OFF THE Auto arrange IS OFF.
Come on guys, this WAS easy before. What happened?????
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Mint 19.2, The auto-arrange grid spacing is now on slide bars on the bottom and far right side of the control menu. Slide them to the smallest value possible BEFORE you move your icons. If you position the icons first, every time you touch one of those slide bars everything will get slammed over to the left side of the screen.
This is crazy.............
Matt832
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt832 »

Frustrating is right!

I upgraded fro 18 to 19.2 and my icons stayed where they were. I created a new launcher and it kept snapping out of line with the rest of my icons. entered the "False" command and al my icon doubled in size - not what I wanted, but I can move them.

How do I get things back to where they were size wise? I do not want to resize 15 icons one by one.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Two more things very annoying, Mint-19.2 Cinnamon. Icons grid - no way to completely shut that off. I have twenty (20) desktop icons. I put them where I want them, well close anyway. But no matter what they will still snap to the grid.
#20 item, Annoying double click on anything always opens an options window, delete, open, or what ever it has in it. I've tried setting the mouse controls and sensitivity control sill no. St matter what I keep getting that extra options window. Open a text document, try to high-light some text to copy, I get this extra options window. That typo above is part of this problem. (Sensitivity control still no. St matter ) ????? That's NOT what I typed in the first place, I clicked there and it got changed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rpmckinley wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:36 am Mint-19.2 Cinnamon. Icons grid - no way to completely shut that off.
See my post directly above your recent posts for the (unsupported) method to go back to legacy gridless mode -
smurphos wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:34 am
nyuwa wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 pm I am having similar troubles in Mint 19.2. Before the right-click menu showed "Desktop" with "Auto arrange" and "Align to grid" in the submenu. Now the desktop is called "Customize" and the submenu contains ONLY "Auto arrange".
It's a deprecated and unsupported feature so no longer accessible via the GUI - but you can still disable align to grid via dconf-editor or with the command line

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid false
Once you've done that you lose the Customise entry from the right click menu, but you gain a Keep Aligned checkbox. Uncheck.

Icon default size will be the same as set for the default for Icon view in Nemo Preferences. Icons can be individually resized via a right click.
chtwright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chtwright »

I know this already said solved but I didn't see the solution I used unless I overlooked it. It is a bug if you ask me in linux mint but anyway when you right click, customize and get to the screen that has the auto arrange turned on and then turn it off, you will notice(even if you turn it off) that you cannot arrange the icons how you want on the same monitor you used to click the auto arrange off(if you have dual screens). The work around I used when I found this problem getting frustrated wondering why I couldn't get my icons to go where I wanted them on any monitor was to go to my right monitor, right click, customize and found that the auto arrange option there was still on. I simply turned that one off, went back to my left monitor, and tried again, and it worked like a charm. For some odd reason the auto arrange feature has to be turned off on both monitors, or at least it did in my case to allow me to arrange my icons.
XP Refugee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XP Refugee »

is there some way to get Resize back into the menu for icons on the desktop? at first I was missing color too but found some combination of window border, icons or buttons that worked for color changing.

Return to “Cinnamon”