Change desktop icon spacing in 18.2 Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Change desktop icon spacing in 18.2 Cinnamon

Post by Cyr4x »

After upgrading to Mint 18.2 today, icons on the desktop are totally messed up. I mean there is huge spacing bethween icons and can't be less when "align to grid" feature is on. Is there any way to set it up to look like in 18.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Change desktop icon spacing in 18.2 Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't see a huge spacing, but that might be different in the eyes of beholder. You can select the smaller icon size.
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

It's not about the icon size. Normal is ok and what i had before. Just the vertical space between icons is 2x what i had in 18.1 and can't change this unless i turn off "align to grid" feature.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You did not have a grid in 18.1. So why do you not simply turn it off?
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

I've found the solution. In dconf-editor we need to go to path org > nemo > desktop, and there change values of horizontal and vertical grid align.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thank you for that information, will try to change it as suggested; it would be nice if it'd become an option in the system preferences.

R
Mint-MarKo

Post by Mint-MarKo »

Hey folks, i try to set the vertical and horizontal values but without luck, so i found the right solution to swap back to the 18.1 align status. Thanks to @Cyr4x post, i found the voice to tick/untick. Indeed, @Cosmo say: "You did not have a grid in 18.1. So why do you not simply turn it off?"
Problem is that in 18.2 you can't disable because one voice (18.2 ---> align to grid) exclude other (18.1 ---> keep aligned).

You should open dconf Editor and go to:

- org / nemo / desktop ---> use-desktop-grid (untick this)

After that close dconf Editor and relog (not necessary but suggested). Now, if you right-click on dekstop the voice align to grid is disappared, and instead you 'll find Keep aligned

Now the icons can be placed more close each other, without that huge space between, and will be aligned anyway.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

thanks guys unchecked auto arrange and align to grid and was able to order my desktop icons and their spacing to my liking.

Return to “Cinnamon”