Cinnamon not working for installs

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
ithinktfiam
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon not working for installs

Post by ithinktfiam »

This is why you can't have good things. I worked in Unix in the early 1990s. It was line oriented and only programmers could use it well. It's 25 years later and slapping a basic UI on top of a command line OS doesn't make it usable to non-programmers. I shouldn't have to relearn what I've thankfully forgotten.

I installed 18.1 fresh. I then tried to use KeePass, which is supposed to run on the system. However, it wouldn't install. When I tried running it from flash, my Windows version, on Mono, it wouldn't run. When I tried installing Wine, the response to "./configure" was that that C compiler didn't work. I checked and it seems GNU C was installed during setup. Since hints on this site and elsewhere suggested "make" might be a problem, I tried installing Gnu Make. It failed with the compiler too. To do more, I have to get far too technical for a casual user.

It's on an ancient laptop and I watch video and listen to music in Firefox. Forget doing anything else. People developing this still haven't grown up.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon not working for installs

Post by Moem »

ithinktfiam wrote:I installed 18.1 fresh. I then tried to use KeePass, which is supposed to run on the system. However, it wouldn't install.
How did you do this?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cinnamon not working for installs

Post by songhuijohn »

To install KeePass in a Linux Mint Cinnamon environment do the following:

1. left mouse click on Menu
2. left mouse click on Software Manager
3. enter you password and left mouse click on OK
4. in the search box at the top of the Software Manager screen key in keepass and depress the enter key
5. double left mouse click on the program you want to install (Keepassx)
6. on the next screen left mouse click on the Install button - this will install the program you want
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

Return to “Cinnamon”