Sonya 18.2 Cinnamon System Tray Applets Aren't Visible

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biolife1212
Level 1
Level 1

Sonya 18.2 Cinnamon System Tray Applets Aren't Visible

Post by biolife1212 »

Having some trouble with a clean install of Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon. Attempting to add/move certain system tray applets results in invisible icons.

I attempted to add the "Recent documents" applet to the system tray. The Applets Windows indicates that it has been added to the panel but it does not appear anywhere.

I also attempted to move the notifications system tray applet in "Panel edit mode" which resulted in a vertical rectangle appearing briefly underneath the system tray and then the notification applet disappearing all together. It does reappear in its original place the next time a notification comes in.

Other system tray applets appear unaffected as I have added the "Expo" applet and moved it around the system tray successfully.

I have attempted to restart Cinnamon, restore to defaults, restart the computer and even booted to a Live USB, and the problem persists.

Anyone else having this issue or any ideas on how to figure out what is happening?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Sonya 18.2 Cinnamon System Tray Applets Aren't Visible

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding the "recent documents". I guess, that you do not see an entry for recent documents in the menu, right?
The cause for this and the invisible applet is the same: You have not activated the main option in the privacy settings of the system. Activate it and you will see as well the new menu entry and the applet.

Regarding the notifications applet: The applet is designed to show only in case, that there is a notification, which you did not confirmed by clicking on it. So far this is by design, that you usually not see it.
If you want to move it do the following: Open at first the notification settings of the system. There is a button to open a test message. If you do not click on it the notification applet will appear. Now activate the panel edit mode and move your applets. There seems to a glitch in this case: As soon as you try to move this applet the needed click on it gets understood, as if you have confirmed all notifications. I am rather sure, that this should not happen in panel edit mode. So to work around this problem move instead the other applets.
biolife1212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biolife1212 »

You are absolutely correct about the recent documents. Thank you!

As for rearranging the icons in the system tray, I can't seem to move all of them. When I enter panel edit mode and try to move certain applets around it behaves as if I have clicked on the applet outside of panel edit mode. i.e. the blue tooth settings window opens or the notification goes away. This results in the applets for the update manager, blue tooth settings, and notifications being unable to be moved.

Other applets function normally, however when I attempt to move a normally functioning applet next to one of the malfunctioning applets the system tray blinks and reloads but the applets return to their previous positions. Anyone else having this issue? Or any ideas?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Some applets are - and were always - difficult to move, this is especially true for the panel launcher applet and the sys tray applet. It can depend from the very exact place, where you try to drag. It simply needs some patience and a number of tries. Except of the special case of the notifications applet I was always at the end able to move them.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Regarding the notifications applet: The applet is designed to show only in case, that there is a notification, which you did not confirmed by clicking on it. So far this is by design, that you usually not see it.
The notifications applet also has a setting to show the empty tray. You can access it by right clicking the applet when it is showing and choosing "Configure" or by going to System setttings->Applets, choosing the notifications applets, and hitting the configure button at the bottom.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Joseph, very correct, I forgot to mention it. But you (plural) have made it (for non-English users) a little bit harder. In LM 17.3 I see in the applet window below each Applet (with localized name, here in German) also the official name (here notifications@cinnamon.org), in LM 18.2 (or already before, I can't remember) the official name does not more get displayed. So I have to translate after reading here at first to German and than re-translate back for replying. Rather cumbersome. For you as native English speaker this might not be a problem.

(And right clicking this applet is not an option, if it is currently invisible. Except you open at first the notifications settings and click to create the lorem ipsum test.)

(Might or might not be of interest for you: In the German translation notifications is translated as Meldungen. This is not totally wrong, but the German word Meldungen has the meaning of messages, any dictionary will give it so. You can now imagine, that the need to translate at first leads especially in this case to mistakes.)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I know right clicking isn't always an option. That why I included the method of going through cinnamon settings :)

Re translations. I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on how translations are handled. I know how to set things up in my code so things can be properly translated but that's about the extent of it. We do have several devs who speak multiple languages (at least 2 in fact I believe are German) but I'm not sure how they run their systems.

I remember the removal of the official name and this is not a use case that anyone brought up. I believe someone is working on an overhaul of the spices handling in cinnamon settings so I'll mention that issue.

For the translations themselves, they are all handled at https://translations.launchpad.net/linu ... s/cinnamon If you see an issue with a specific translation that is the place to fix it. It's one of the easiest ways for users to contribute to the project who aren't developers.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you would bring the official name back into the applet (and desklet and extension) dialogs, it would be fine.

I know about translations.launchpad, but my time is limited and contributing there would reduce my task in the forum. I prefer to stay here. (And there is also a life besides the computer.)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Cosmo. wrote:If you would bring the official name back into the applet (and desklet and extension) dialogs, it would be fine.

I know about translations.launchpad, but my time is limited and contributing there would reduce my task in the forum. I prefer to stay here. (And there is also a life besides the computer.)
Wait. What? You spend a large amount of time nitpicking and arguing over the decisions, choices, and direction that developers make with regards to Linux Mint. Here you presented what you see as an issue, a wrong translation. Something that is well within your ability to fix and an area where Mint counts heavily on the community. But you refuse to help fix it? I don't really get that unless the post count under your name is what really matters.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Never tell me that I refuse to help. :twisted: And don't write - or imply -, that I do nothing else than nitpicking and arguing about decisions. :twisted: With such behavior we will not discuss anything more. :!: Point.

It might be, that you are not fully aware, what I am doing here most of the time. (I also do not claim to know, what you are doing.) But in this case you should not write about it. That is a primitive rule.

All this especially, after I had asked about a proper place (IRC is not, as I already wrote) to explain and discuss about a matter, which is really of importance; translation is (for me) not. I never got an usable answer. Output follows input, old story.

You can be sure, that if I would ever have considered to go to launchpad for translation issues, I will now do this definitely never! :mrgreen: I decide, what and how I do, nobody else. If you don't like it, write a nitpicking complaint to xenopeek. If he tells me the same as you, I will stop here. Completely! I have left kindergarten tens of years ago.
I had intentionally written in my previous post, that I prefer to invest my time here; I am very precise in my formulation in such matter. That leaves options open. Congratulations, you have successfully removed one option. :mrgreen: You can be really proud about you. :x

And now you may count my 15..000 posts with nitpicking arguing about decisions. I don't care, if you do or how far you come. Perhaps I will shortly add some arguing, so that you can count some posts further. :lol:
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

In my 1962 Langenscheidt dictionary, Meldung is given as announcement, notice, information; notification; report; application; Sport: entry. Therefore the translation appears to be correct.

All that aside, personal sparring does not help the original poster with the stated problem regarding the System Tray Applets.

These worked perfectly in previous releases of Linux Mint but in version 18.2 they do not. Although there is some adjustment possible, this appears to be limited and erratic. Version 18.2 is still undergoing testing with me and when my findings are completed I will post these in the appropriate place (GitHub).
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Never tell me that I refuse to help. :twisted: And don't write - or imply -, that I do nothing else than nitpicking and arguing about decisions. :twisted: With such behavior we will not discuss anything more. :!: Point.
One, I'll state things as I see them regardless of your opinion, much the same as you. In this case of the translation you refused to help. Plain and simple. Two, actually read what I wrote instead of what you decide you want it to mean.
All this especially, after I had asked about a proper place (IRC is not, as I already wrote) to explain and discuss about a matter, which is really of importance; translation is (for me) not. I never got an usable answer. Output follows input, old story.
You never got a usable answer? Yes you did. It just wasn't one you wanted. In the end I could really care less if you help or not. Same as here. You are much more suitable to fixing this translation problem than I am. You actually speak the language in question. But again you don't want to waste your time. Cool, don't.

In the end, I have no issue with people bringing up problems, pointing out issues, giving constructive criticism, etc. It makes both myself as part of the project and the project as a whole better.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

These worked perfectly in previous releases of Linux Mint but in version 18.2 they do not. Although there is some adjustment possible, this appears to be limited and erratic. Version 18.2 is still undergoing testing with me and when my findings are completed I will post these in the appropriate place (GitHub).
There are several applets that only show when certain conditions are met. The "Keyboard" applet is one of those. When entering panel edit mode it unhides itself so you can move it. The notifications applet behaves through a different mechanism since hiding it is actually an applet setting. It needs to be handled differently and currently it seems it isn't.
mvnrsa

Post by mvnrsa »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:23 pm Regarding the "recent documents". I guess, that you do not see an entry for recent documents in the menu, right?
The cause for this and the invisible applet is the same: You have not activated the main option in the privacy settings of the system. Activate it and you will see as well the new menu entry and the applet.
Thank you for this info, it solves the problem, but may I suggest this is very unintuitive.

It would be better to actually display the recent applet and let it show a message "Recent documents disabled in privacy settings" when clicked than have it "disappear". This is similar to the behavior of the gpaste applet when gpaste (or it's libs) is not installed.

Could save people (like me) hours trying to figure out why it is missing.
timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timbow »

mvnrsa wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am Could save people (like me) hours trying to figure out why it is missing.
You are fast! It has taken me three years to get that flipping icon to show!

Return to “Cinnamon”