Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] A few issues with Cinnamon in LM 18.2

Post by Rehdon »

Hi guys,
I've just made a fresh installation of LM Cinnamon 18.2, works fine, and seems to be very stable, but I ran into a few issues:

- first and most annoying one: in 18.1 the Menu and User applets, respectively first and last on the top panel, were activated pushing the mouse cursor on the upper left and right corner of the screen, respecting Fitt's law; now this doesn't work anymore, which means you have to aim for the applet icon. This is a serious UI regression IMHO and should be fixed;

- second glitch, I don't know why but my desktop icons are either covered by the top panel or leaving quite a distance up to it, with considerable waste of desktop space;

- thirdly, there is still very little homogeneity in the package management pop-up windows, they're different from one another; talked to Clem about this quite a long time ago, sad to see no progress: fortunately it is mostly an aesthetic problem (although you could say that a coherent UI improves the UX).

Thank you for any feedback.

R
Last edited by Rehdon on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: A few issues with Cinnamon in LM 18.2

Post by xenopeek »

Rehdon wrote:- first and most annoying one: in 18.1 the Menu and User applets, respectively first and last on the top panel, were activated pushing the mouse cursor on the upper left and right corner of the screen, respecting Fitt's law; now this doesn't work anymore, which means you have to aim for the applet icon. This is a serious UI regression IMHO and should be fixed;
I can't reproduce this with the Linux Mint or Mint-X or Mint-Y desktop themes. Are you using a different desktop theme?

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Now that I think of it, I'm using the same /home directory as with LM 18.1, which means that while it is in fact a fresh install and not an update, I'm using exactly the same array of themes than before. Yep, it was an oldish theme (Elegans dark) that caused those problems, also the desktop icon one: thanks a lot for your tip!

R

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

That leaves the following but I think something like screenshot to illustrate your issue with it would help.
Rehdon wrote:- thirdly, there is still very little homogeneity in the package management pop-up windows, they're different from one another; talked to Clem about this quite a long time ago, sad to see no progress: fortunately it is mostly an aesthetic problem (although you could say that a coherent UI improves the UX).

Return to “Cinnamon”