Cinnamon just crashed, running Fallback Mode

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Azuk

Cinnamon just crashed, running Fallback Mode

Post by Azuk »

Hello everyone,

As shown in the title my Cinannmon is all the time crashing now, directly after the booting.
It's probably due to the fact that I switched the nvidia drivers used to something that looked more recent yesterday. (I think I switched from nvidia-358 to something like nvidia-8**).

The only problem I now have is that I don’t have any user interface to go back to the previous driver which was working.

So, could you help me to set the nvidia I should use ?
Is there a way to display the window with all the graphic drivers using the command-line ?

With an access to this windows, I could easily switch it and do a test.

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
II-Trax-II

Re: Cinnamon just crashed, running Fallback Mode

Post by II-Trax-II »

Azuk wrote:Hello everyone,

As shown in the title my Cinannmon is all the time crashing now, directly after the booting.
It's probably due to the fact that I switched the nvidia drivers used to something that looked more recent yesterday. (I think I switched from nvidia-358 to something like nvidia-8**).

The only problem I now have is that I don’t have any user interface to go back to the previous driver which was working.

So, could you help me to set the nvidia I should use ?
Is there a way to display the window with all the graphic drivers using the command-line ?

With an access to this windows, I could easily switch it and do a test.

Regards,
Mr Obvious here. You did switch the video card back to the 358 (or any that aren't the new one) and tried it I would think, if so my work is done here.
kameboy

Post by kameboy »

I've been trying to pinpoint the cause for the crashing after doing an update from 18.1 to 18.2. Actually I've had two symptoms:
  • 1) Crashing -> fallback mode
  • 2) "cinnamon" process constantly on high cpu usage (20-50% on a core)
The first was fixed after a dconf reset of cinnamon as described here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/w ... gs-(dconf) . (This will reset all cinnamon settings!)

The second problem seems to be related to the Desktop theme "Mint-Y-Dark". Choosing almost any other theme, such as the default "Linux Mint" makes the cpu usage go back to normal (0-10% or so).
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

FWIW, I've been battling with this problem just after a recent update to the latest HWE stack for Xubuntu 16.04-LTS (I'm running Cinnamon on Xubuntu) but my video hardware is "AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7"
pinux

Post by pinux »

I'm suffering this bug also. I updated to latest nvidia-384 driver, but no difference. This bug is really annoying, and there seems to be no logic when it crashes.

Return to “Cinnamon”