Per-monitor UI scaling?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Per-monitor UI scaling?

Post by Nick Payne » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Running Mint Cinnamon 18.2. I have two 80cm monitors - one 2560x1600 resolution, the other 3840x2160 resolution. If I scale the UI so that things are a comfortable size on the lower res monitor, they're far too small on the high res monitor, and if the UI is scaled for the high-res monitor then everything is too big on the lower res monitor. Is it possible to apply different scaling for each monitor, so that the UI is a comfortable size on both?

jean.jordaan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Per-monitor UI scaling?

Post by jean.jordaan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 am

I have the same type of issue. At the moment I'm setting my HiDPI laptop display to the same resolution as the lower-res monitor.
At least it switches back to HiDPI (with some glitches about mouse cursor size and the size and spacing of systray icons) when I unplug the external monitor.

stupidkid2017
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stupidkid2017 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi

I have a similar problem, I think. I have a HiDPI primary monitor, which works great, with scaling set to HiDPI (double). Then a LoDPI (I guess!) secondary, which has, as a result, quite the wrong scaling. I can't find any way to use a different scaling on each.

However, if use the nvidia-settings tool I can configure the secondary to have a "viewportin" value that is larger than its actual pixel size. This works rather well, giving a consistent scaling across both, even if the secondary is rather fuzzy and ugly. It works, and will do until I can afford a second HiDPI monitor.

Trouble is, the nvidia-settings settings are lost on reboot. Lots of people seem to have trouble with this; my /etc/X11/xorg.conf has the right settings, and is respected at the login screen, but things revert to something Mint understands when I login, and I have to reconfigure to get the right settings.

So, is it possible (a) to set these rather natty "viewportin" values in whatever file Mint/Cinnamon is using to configure my logged-in display manager? I cannot find this file, for the life of me. Would it be an xorg.conf, or something else?

Or, (b), is there a reference to how Mint/Cinnamon configures the display, nvidia-settings aside (I've seen at least one post warning that this tool is ill-advised).

Clearly, my system can do this, but how do I get it to do it at login?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18 (Sarah)"
NVidia GTX 1060

bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bridnour » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 am

I have a similar issue if I use both my external monitor (2560x1080) and laptop monitor (3840x2160). My workaround has been to lower the resolution on the HiDPI monitor to 1920x1080, which -- for me -- scales everything on the HiDPI monitor to match the external monitor.

Of course, I loose most of the benefits of the HiDPI...

(Then again, I have to keep the that monitor at 1920x1080 or lower when using windows 10 in dual boot or in a VM because my CAD software currently doesn't support HiDPI monitors... *sigh*)

lksjflkjdflask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lksjflkjdflask » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 am

I have the same problem. A per monitor scaling setting would be fantastic.

jaymot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaymot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Any proper scaling in Cinnamon would be wonderful! All we get is 100% (which is too small or else we wouldn't be in the configuration looking at scaling settings, would we?) or 200% which is way too big. Double or nothing. Even Windows 7 gave us 110%, 120%, 130%, etc. so we could fine-tune the display to make it the way we need it. Original size or twice as big: that's not really even scaling, that's just doubling. Scaling means like, "On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is the best, how would you rate Cinnamon's scaling?" It's incremental and linear. It's not just binary, good/bad, on/off. It would be as if the video drivers only offered us a choice of two resolutions, 1920x1080 hidpi and 800x600 svga.
Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon, Asus Zenbook UX303UB, 12GiB 1.6GHz DDR3 RAM, 1TiB HD, Intel Skylake & GeForce 940M GPUs, Intel Core i7 mobile CPU

Return to “Cinnamon”