Per-monitor UI scaling?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Per-monitor UI scaling?

Post by Nick Payne »

Running Mint Cinnamon 18.2. I have two 80cm monitors - one 2560x1600 resolution, the other 3840x2160 resolution. If I scale the UI so that things are a comfortable size on the lower res monitor, they're far too small on the high res monitor, and if the UI is scaled for the high-res monitor then everything is too big on the lower res monitor. Is it possible to apply different scaling for each monitor, so that the UI is a comfortable size on both?

jean.jordaan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Per-monitor UI scaling?

Post by jean.jordaan »

I have the same type of issue. At the moment I'm setting my HiDPI laptop display to the same resolution as the lower-res monitor.
At least it switches back to HiDPI (with some glitches about mouse cursor size and the size and spacing of systray icons) when I unplug the external monitor.

stupidkid2017
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stupidkid2017 »

Hi

I have a similar problem, I think. I have a HiDPI primary monitor, which works great, with scaling set to HiDPI (double). Then a LoDPI (I guess!) secondary, which has, as a result, quite the wrong scaling. I can't find any way to use a different scaling on each.

However, if use the nvidia-settings tool I can configure the secondary to have a "viewportin" value that is larger than its actual pixel size. This works rather well, giving a consistent scaling across both, even if the secondary is rather fuzzy and ugly. It works, and will do until I can afford a second HiDPI monitor.

Trouble is, the nvidia-settings settings are lost on reboot. Lots of people seem to have trouble with this; my /etc/X11/xorg.conf has the right settings, and is respected at the login screen, but things revert to something Mint understands when I login, and I have to reconfigure to get the right settings.

So, is it possible (a) to set these rather natty "viewportin" values in whatever file Mint/Cinnamon is using to configure my logged-in display manager? I cannot find this file, for the life of me. Would it be an xorg.conf, or something else?

Or, (b), is there a reference to how Mint/Cinnamon configures the display, nvidia-settings aside (I've seen at least one post warning that this tool is ill-advised).

Clearly, my system can do this, but how do I get it to do it at login?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18 (Sarah)"
NVidia GTX 1060

bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bridnour »

I have a similar issue if I use both my external monitor (2560x1080) and laptop monitor (3840x2160). My workaround has been to lower the resolution on the HiDPI monitor to 1920x1080, which -- for me -- scales everything on the HiDPI monitor to match the external monitor.

Of course, I loose most of the benefits of the HiDPI...

(Then again, I have to keep the that monitor at 1920x1080 or lower when using windows 10 in dual boot or in a VM because my CAD software currently doesn't support HiDPI monitors... *sigh*)

lksjflkjdflask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lksjflkjdflask »

I have the same problem. A per monitor scaling setting would be fantastic.

jaymot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaymot »

Any proper scaling in Cinnamon would be wonderful! All we get is 100% (which is too small or else we wouldn't be in the configuration looking at scaling settings, would we?) or 200% which is way too big. Double or nothing. Even Windows 7 gave us 110%, 120%, 130%, etc. so we could fine-tune the display to make it the way we need it. Original size or twice as big: that's not really even scaling, that's just doubling. Scaling means like, "On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is the best, how would you rate Cinnamon's scaling?" It's incremental and linear. It's not just binary, good/bad, on/off. It would be as if the video drivers only offered us a choice of two resolutions, 1920x1080 hidpi and 800x600 svga.
Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon, Asus Zenbook UX303UB, 12GiB 1.6GHz DDR3 RAM, 1TiB HD, Intel Skylake & GeForce 940M 2GiB GPUs, Intel Core i7 6500U CPU

pascaldls
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pascaldls »

I have the same issue using a 4k monitor on a a laptop that have 1k display
enable specifying which display is hiDPI would be absolute must
Thanks

crobar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crobar »

I too wish this were possible, at work I attach to another monitor and close my laptop, the default scaling works well, but on my actual laptop, looks tiny. I can fix this by scaling text by 1.3 and changing the firefox devPixelsPerPixel (or somehting like this) setting to also be 1.3, but this then looks bad in the other monitor. Wish there was an easier way to fix it. Using the HiDPI setting makes everything too big in both cases.

crobar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crobar »

I created the attached scripts to work around the issue. They change the UI text scaling, and the firefox layout.css.devPixelsPerPx setting, which scales all browser content. No help if you use chrome I'm afraid.

So when I switch to my work moitor I run 'noscale' and when I switch back to my laptop screen I run 'laptopscale'
Attachments
scalescripts.tar.gz
archive containing four shell scripts
(556 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times

crobar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crobar »

I forgot to mention, for the above scripts to work you have to put a file called user.js in you firefox user profile folder. This file should contain the following text:

Code: Select all

user_pref("layout.css.devPixelsPerPx","1.0");
The user profile folder will be a randomly named subfolder in ~/.mozilla/firefox

Return to “Cinnamon”