Screen sizes different on computer and TV

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Palladini921
Level 2
Level 2

Screen sizes different on computer and TV

Post by Palladini921 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 pm

I installed Linux Mint 18,2 Sonya Cinnamon on my Daughter in law's HP laptop. I installed a few things and then took it down to her room and hooked it to her TV via HDMI cable. No matter what settings I use in Display settings, it does the following - I open a window on the computer, in this case it the Update Manager. It shows up on the Computer, but not the TV. The Desktop background and the background on the TV are the same. Press the start (menu) key, it shows on Computer, but not on TV. If I hook onto and drag any window off the laptop screen to the right, so it no longer is on the computer screen, it appears on the TV screen. It is like the Laptop is 2 or 3 screens wider than it is, and the TV only shows the far right of the screen. How do I go about fixing this?

If needed, I can make a video of what is happening here. I can upload it to YT and put a link here, if that helps.

songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Screen sizes different on computer and TV

Post by songhuijohn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 pm

With Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon you can control how multiple displays are used.
Your option are extend the display (default) or mirror displays.
To select one of these options do the following:
Menu > Settings > Display
On the Display screen you will see these options.

Your description shows that you have the default setting ( extend the display) and is working as designed.

Having screens of different resolutions when extending the display is okay.
When mirroring the displays the highest common screen resolution will be used on both displays.

Also, your laptop my have a function key that controls the output of the VGA port.
If your laptop does have such a control key, usually the settings are extend, mirror, only display via VGA port, or display nothing via VGA port.

The Linux Mint options always displays something on both displays.

The function key control on the laptop (if it has this function) may be able to only way to only display via VGA port.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

Palladini921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palladini921 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 am

We are not using the VGA port, we are using an HDMI cable to a HDMI port on a flat screen TV.

songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 pm

I am sorry, the second part of my answer should of been the following:

Also, your laptop my have a function key that controls the output of the HDMI port.
If your laptop does have such a control key, usually the settings are extend, mirror, only display via HDMI port, or display nothing via HDMI port.

The Linux Mint options always displays something on both displays.

The function key control on the laptop (if it has this function) may be able to only way to only display via HDMI port.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

Palladini921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palladini921 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 am

Yesterday I went downstairs and hooked her computer back up to the tv and played around with a few thing and got it working fine, both screens now show the same thing. Thanks for the help

Return to “Cinnamon”