VERY Annoying - USB Stick Read Only (Nemo)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DougGuy

VERY Annoying - USB Stick Read Only (Nemo)

Post by DougGuy »

This has plagued me in EVERY LM install I have done, I have formatted the USB stick with Nemo, Disks, Windows 10, and Nemo throws up an error copying files, the destination is Read Only. WHY do we not have a fix for this very annoying bug? Not like it isn't well known or well reported.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DougGuy

Re: VERY Annoying - USB Stick Read Only (Nemo)

Post by DougGuy »

I have done the following:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /media/USERNAME
Didn't change anything, then I ran the following commands (using the correct username, not the default one in the brackets).

sudo chown [username] /media/[username]

sudo chgrp [username] /media/[username]
That didn't help so I logged out and back in, used Gparted to delete partitions and re write a partition table, then create and format a new partition, and I was able to write to the USB stick.

This just seems extreme to me to have to go through so much trouble, if there is a workaround that doesn't involve this much effort I would appreciate knowing it, maybe this issue can be addressed soon enough. I don't like the idea of having to use another file manager to make up for the issues that Nemo has.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

DougGuy wrote:I have formatted the USB stick with Nemo, Disks, Windows 10, and Nemo throws up an error copying files
What format did you use?
DougGuy wrote:I logged out and back in, used Gparted to delete partitions and re write a partition table, then create and format a new partition, and I was able to write to the USB stick.
What format did you use for the new partition?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
DougGuy

Post by DougGuy »

austin.texas wrote:
DougGuy wrote:I have formatted the USB stick with Nemo, Disks, Windows 10, and Nemo throws up an error copying files
What format did you use?
Fat32
austin.texas wrote:
DougGuy wrote:I logged out and back in, used Gparted to delete partitions and re write a partition table, then create and format a new partition, and I was able to write to the USB stick.
What format did you use for the new partition?
Fat32 created and formatted from Gparted
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

^ I don't think this is a Nemo issue since I have encountered the problem using some other file managers/distros, too. It came invariably after a stick was made into a bootable installation device. Permissions are changed and the simplest remedy is to do what you did with GParted. I never saw it happen from regular file copying to the stick unless, of course, the device itself hasn't reached EOL.
DougGuy

Post by DougGuy »

I have seen it happen numerous times on data drives, if you haphazardly remove one and don't unmount it first, this can happen, and these never were bootable drives, just storage and file transfer. One LM install had 5 of the 6 sticks I own as read only. I booted off the Live USB and put the USB sticks in one by one, rebooted into the LM desktop, voila, all of them worked. Go figure.

I don't think it's totally a Nemo issue, it may be more central to the Cinnamon DE than the file manager. Best I remember when I ran XFE it would read and write no problem the same usb sticks that Nemo said was read only. After checking the permissions and ownership of drives that were writeable against the ones marked read only, I saw NO difference in any of the settings. I can't figure it out.
pavel niedoba

Post by pavel niedoba »

Still there
abharshahic

Post by abharshahic »

have the same issue. Started after making my usb bootable. It occur only when I use NEMO. THUNAR seems to have no issue.
I can't create partition in this disk. there is no option in gdisk. I cant change the permissions in properties(Its access only now).

Return to “Cinnamon”