Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

shaky video under new Cinnamon?

Post by tpprynn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 pm

(ATI HD6750, 4gb, 3ghz quad core)

I'm making an umpteenth attempt to go Windows-free after nine years of using Mint and Ubuntu on and off, and was really delighted with the behaviour and appearance of Mint 18.2 x64 Cinnamon edition. For the first time also the standard Totem or Videos application seemed really smooth, no tearing. Then the more video files I tried I would find many stuttered, and in similar ways also using VLC and SMPLayer. I made an attempt to install LXDE as well to test that out but LXDE wouldn't show up in the lightdm menu. I had installed Debian 9.1 on another drive and found it behaved in the same way, again Cinnamon version. I then tried the LXDE version of Debian 9 and that problem was completely gone. If I had been able to tether my phone I would have probably settled with that. The behaviour with the two Cinnamon distros was the same with or without a xorg.conf that has always worked for me by the way, and the output video setting in VLC makes no difference. The last few versions of Mint and Ubuntu have been fine in this regard. Is there anything quick and simple that can be done to put this right, or not so quick and simple but still do-able? Doesn't seem to be a kernel issue or anything other than Cinnamon-related as even the Debian 9 LXDE install is smooth and without compositing.

Thanks. Do ask if I need to add any detail.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: shaky video under new Cinnamon?

Post by richyrich » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 pm

I wonder if turning off the heavy visual effects in Cinnamon will help you ?
This website was created and is maintained by one of our forum members. (see right side column)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks. Yes, I'm afraid that was one of the first things I tried.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Cinnamon is one of the heaviest DEs, and you can only partially disable desktop compositing. LXDE is one of the lightest and it doesn't come with any eye candy. It's no surprise you're getting much better video performance with LXDE.

You're also comparing 2 different distros, and your AMD video card may work better in Debian. Until you update, possibly.

I suspect your hardware doesn't really have the power for Cinnamon but to be sure give us some better info ... copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

inxi -Fxz

I've had Cinnamon edition of Mint installed and while it's not my preference it's nice. But I wouldn't install it again unless it was on a machine with a dedicated video card with 1Gb memory at least. Preferably nvidia. Same goes for Gnome 3 or Unity, though we won't have to deal with the latter travesty much longer.

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:00 pm

It's quite a well-equipped pc I'd thought, and I think the card has 1 or 2gb of its own RAM, but I think there may be a couple of badly ripped DVDs that I was testing with. I've defected to Lubuntu for now anyway, till next April when I have a look at what's available again.

Return to “Cinnamon”