Login Screen Wallpaper Missing After 18.2 Upgrade

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Login Screen Wallpaper Missing After 18.2 Upgrade

Post by mattlach »

Hey all,

This is a pretty minor one, as I can still log in and everything works, but I'm having an issue with the login screen.

In every version up until 18.1 I just left it alone at default settings, and got a pleasant wallpaper slideshow at logon time. Entered my username and password and got on with it.

After the upgrade from 18.1 to 18.2, I now don't get that wallpaper slideshow anymore. The Mint-X login window still shows up, and I can properly log on, but instead of pretty and interesting backgrounds scrolling through, it's just a plain black background.

Any ideas what may have happened, and how I can fix it?

Much obliged,
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Login Screen Wallpaper Missing After 18.2 Upgrade

Post by deepakdeshp »

You may have chosen lightmdm.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3306
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ninjawarrior4760
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ninjawarrior4760 »

I have something of the same problem, although I just did a completely fresh install of 18.2. Cinnamon, To me this is kind of minor, but I went to change the desktop background screen image (I used my own image not the Mint ones). After updating the system and rebooted the OS, the Plymouth login screen no longer showed up. In the System Settings I opened up the Login Window dialog window and tried to put my own images in there. After rebooting the login window was still black, not the image I wanted. I did change my desktop screen image back to the Mint image and when I went to reboot it, the original login image came back.
Just one more thing, I did attempt, as root, to put my image in the /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint directory, but my image did not show up in the System Settings/ Login Window dialog. I was wondering how can I use my one images for the login screen?
From what I am doing it seems that if I use my own images, the login window doesn`t work using my images. (I`ve tried both .png and .jpg files).
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

I have this problem also. I cannot select the slide show feature in the login window. If I select a picture for the background, the background jumps between the picture and the black background. I have not installed the lightmdm. Synaptic shows MDM Sonya.

While this is a trivial problem, if the upgrades cant preserve a feature, its a failure as far as I am concerned. :x
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

Rant over, found this:

Code: Select all

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=235459
I have this file, something else must be wrong.

(EDIT) I tried the MDModern login. It works, fades from blue to red and back to blue. The only difference in the slideshow.conf files for the respective logins is the first commented out line. If it is commented out does it matter?

Mint-X: #
# slideshow settings
#

interval_seconds = 15
fade_seconds = 2
shuffle = true
show_controlls = true
show_filename = false

[backgrounds]

MDModern:
#
# MDModern background slideshow default settings
#

interval_seconds = 10

fade_seconds = 2

shuffle = true

show_controlls = true

show_filename = false

[backgrounds]
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Login Screen Wallpaper Missing After 18.2 Upgrade (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman »

This problem has been fixed. See this:

https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-mdm-themes/issues/24

The fix is to copy the backgrounds for Sonya into the slideshow.conf file for Mint-X If you do this in the terminal:

Cat /usr/share/mdm/html-themes/Mint-X/slideshow.conf
you will see there are no backgrounds for Sonya. I had backgrounds for Sarah and Serena. I edited the file by commenting out the files for Serena and adding the backgrounds for Sonya. From the GitHub page I copied this command into the terminal:

ls -1 /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-sonya/* | grep -v Credits | sed 's.^.file://.' > /tmp/sonya.bg
It will create a file in /tmp called sonya.bg You have to select all and copy into the slideshow.conf file. Then you have to comment out the lines in slideshow.conf
with Serena in it by inserting # ( Shift 3 ) at the beginning of the each line. Save and log out and log back in. :D If you need help or further explanation please post.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

I'm having the same problem.
using the "login window", if I tick "draw user backgrounds" it only shows a black background at the login.
I don't have my home folder encrypted.
I have my own Wallpapers in /home/pictures/wallpaper.
I installed one month ago linux mint 18, fresh install, and it was working. Two days ago I did a fresh install of mint 18.2 cinnamon, and now it's not working anymore.
I checked the file in the /usr/share/mdm folder (actually the only file/folder I have there) and it is:

[daemon]
Greeter=/usr/lib/mdm/mdmwebkit
DefaultSessions=cinnamon.desktop,mate.desktop,xfce.desktop,kde-plasma.desktop,kde.desktop,plasma.desktop

[gui]
GtkTheme=Mint-X

[greeter]
DefaultFace=/usr/share/pixmaps/faces/user-generic.png
ConfigAvailable=false
ChooserButton=false
ShowGnomeFailsafeSession=false
ShowXtermFailsafeSession=false
GraphicalTheme=linuxmint
GraphicalThemeDir=/usr/share/mdm/themes/
HTMLTheme=Mint-X
SoundOnLogin=true
SoundOnLoginFile=/usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-gdm.wav
SoundOnLoginSuccess=true
SoundOnLoginSuccessFile=/usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav
SoundOnLoginFailure=false
SoundOnLoginFailureFile=/usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/dialog-information.ogg

[debug]
Enable=false
Even though in the "login window" I set the GTK theme as my primary theme (Arc-Flatabulous-Darker), but in this file it shows Mint-x.

Return to “Cinnamon”