Sad about KDE going away, would Cinnamon be for me?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Sad about KDE going away, would Cinnamon be for me?

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't want to leave Mint, not at the moment, but sadly I've been pretty attached to KDE, though I can't explain why, it just feels a lot better than GNOME. So I know I don't care for GNOME, but what would I migrate to? What is Cinnamon like, how is it similar or better than KDE, and why did they decide to drop KDE? My one concern about Cinnamon is that there seemed to me to be more problems with that recent spin, Perhaps that perception is wrong?
I want to learn!

revian
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sad about KDE going away, would Cin be for me?

Postby revian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 pm

wutsinterweb wrote:I don't want to leave Mint, not at the moment, but sadly I've been pretty attached to KDE, though I can't explain why, it just feels a lot better than GNOME. So I know I don't care for GNOME, but what would I migrate to? What is Cinnamon like, how is it similar or better than KDE, and why did they decide to drop KDE? My one concern about Cinnamon is that there seemed to me to be more problems with that recent spin, Perhaps that perception is wrong?

You could install the XFCE edition of Mint and then install KDE on top of that. That would allow you to keep using KDE while not wasting too much space on a desktop that you won't use - XFCE is the easiest to remove, if I remember correctly. KDE will continue to be provided in the Mint repos, it's just the KDE edition ISO that is being discontinued.
Operating within normal parameters
Check out my new desktop themes

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Only you can tell if you would feel comfortable on Cinnamon. I know how you feel as I think KDE is great and in many respects more configurable than Cinnamon, but Cinnamon always just felt 'right' for me. It's highly subjective.

I wouldn't worry about stability in Cinnamon. The issues were minor and I think the problematic stage is behind us.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:35 pm

I have Mint 18.2 KDE on my laptop now but I've had Mint Cinnamon on there before. In my opinion Cinnamon is a triumph of style over substance.

When 18.2 goes EOL I'll likely install Kubuntu or Neon. I already went back from Mint to Ubuntu once before because their tech support could actually solve the problem I was having. Mint is very nice but I'm not THAT loyal to it that I'd give up a DE for it.

revian
Level 3
Level 3

Postby revian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:37 pm

I use Mint 18.2 - Cinnamon edition - and this is actually the first distro I've ever installed that didn't require any work out of the box. I've been using it for three months and it still amazes me. You might give the latest Cinnamon ISO a spin and see how it works for you.
Operating within normal parameters
Check out my new desktop themes

all41
Level 11
Level 11

Postby all41 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi wutsinterweb,
I don't want to leave Mint, not at the moment

Your current Mint KDE will continue to receive support till mid 2021, so why be in a rush.
There will certainly be other appealing alternatives by then.
why did they decide to drop KDE

This is explained in the October Monthly News here:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/
There are further explanations to be found in the comments.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 pm

I think with 18.3 I might give Cin a try, but I really like KDE connect, does Mint do Android connectivity like KDE Connect, or any other? I'm not a cell phone person and don't like checking my phone every 10 minutes like most people, and KDE connect makes my life better that way, I get a message and I don't have to stop what I am doing like some slave to the phone, because with KDE Connect it pops up a windows quickly and I have a brief moment to know what's what.
I want to learn!

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi "wutsinterweb",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

As was already noted, there are a few other posts on Linux Mint dropping KDE :( :? , but there is support for years to come with Linux Mint KDE before that happens. And, you will be able to add the KDE desktop to a supported edition of Linux Mint like Xfce or Mate.

This is still the best computer support forum I have ever been part of and I will continue to be part of it.

Cinnamon is a great edition of Linux Mint, but it is different from KDE.

All editions of Linux Mint can use KDE Connect which is built-in to KDE desktops. You just have to install the KDE connect indicator for non-KDE systems and you might need to install the "kde-runtime" as well.

New kde connect indicator ubuntu / linux mint PPA. Updated: April 07, 2017
(*This is not necessary for KDE users)
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/04/new-kde-connect-indicator-ubuntu-linux.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:47 am

Oh yes, that definitely helps, thank you. Yes, I think that, as a still newbie very intent on learning as I go, this forum is one of the best that there is. Those who mod here, the coders and makers, clem and all, I'm so thankful for all of you!

With some distros you are more or less on your own unless you buy support, but that's the beauty of the system, it provides to the entire spectrum of users. I just started looking at CentOS for learning reasons on a VM and for Fedora or CentOS, you kinda want to really really have your ducks in a row before asking something from what I gather. You guys here aren't readily annoyed by newbie questions. Example is my asking about KDE Connect, of course, yes, I can search for the answer, but when I ask questions it's partly because I'm looking for conversation that might lead to other learning. Conversation is a good thing, it's part of being human and collaborating.

I've thought about trying other DEs anyway, but I know that I don't like gnome, I don't quite know why, just don't like how it feels.

I'll set up a VM and look at Cinnamon some, I'm sure I will come to find it as good.

Also, the flatpack news is really cool, and kinda takes up some of the slack it would seem to me of losing KDE natively. I appreciate the reasons for the change, I'm bummed but I can well understand. It's a heck of a lot of work to make all spins and I'm willing to bet that the Plasma spin is even more work.

Time to take a look at Cinnamon and see what it is all about.
I want to learn!

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:54 am

phd21 wrote:This is still the best computer support forum I have ever been part of and I will continue to be part of it.
Good to hear you're sticking around. Seems a lot of contributors use KDE.

Retic1959
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Retic1959 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:42 am

wutsinterweb wrote:I don't want to leave Mint, not at the moment, but sadly I've been pretty attached to KDE, though I can't explain why, it just feels a lot better than GNOME. So I know I don't care for GNOME, but what would I migrate to? What is Cinnamon like, how is it similar or better than KDE, and why did they decide to drop KDE? My one concern about Cinnamon is that there seemed to me to be more problems with that recent spin, Perhaps that perception is wrong?

You have plenty of time to decide , I'm not giving up my LM KDE until I have to , 2021 is a ways away . I'll probably leave LM at that point , I've done a lot of Distro and DE hopping and I'm gonna stick with KDE . BTW I don't like Gnome either ,

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm

wutsinterweb wrote:I think with 18.3 I might give Cin a try, but I really like KDE connect, does Mint do Android connectivity like KDE Connect, or any other? I'm not a cell phone person and don't like checking my phone every 10 minutes like most people, and KDE connect makes my life better that way, I get a message and I don't have to stop what I am doing like some slave to the phone, because with KDE Connect it pops up a windows quickly and I have a brief moment to know what's what.

If you really like KDE you'll probably Cinnamon slow and not really very powerful. ANd no, there's no equivalent to KDE connect in any non KDE DE.

I'd actually recommend jumping ship for KDE diehards. Kubuntu or Neon.

Mick-Cork
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Sad about KDE going away, would Cinnamon be for me?

Postby Mick-Cork » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi Hoser,

Just to clarify, I have KDE Connect running on LM 18.2 Cinnamon. It does provide pop-up notifications, but one thing I can't get working is 'Browse Device'. Send File, Find My Phone, Battery Status all good. Haven't tested Send SMS. Can't remember if there was anything special about installing it, but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Return to “Cinnamon”