frozen task bar

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

frozen task bar

Post by pittendrigh »

I've been running Mint Mate for about 5 years now but I needed the gnome color manager for making custom monitor/color profiles and it wasn't available on Mate.

So yesterday I installed Sonya Cinnamon--amd64. A lot of trivial stuff is broken. One problem not so trivial.

I cannot figure out how to add launch icons to the menu bar. What I used to do with Mint involved menu choices that don't seem to exist with Sonya/Cinnamon. I installed alacarte but I see no menu-driven way to save anything with it.

I'd be happy to edit a gimp.desktop and/or a google-chrome.desktop file, for instance, perhaps inside .config but I only seem to have one launcher now, for the terminal window, and I haven't been able to find where it exists.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: frozen task bar

Post by pittendrigh »

OK I found it.

I found ~/.cinnamon/panel-launchers/cinnamon-custom-launcher-1.desktop, edited it appropriately and renamed it as:

~/.cinnamon/panel-launchers/cinnamon-custom-launcher.desktop

...and then restarted the window manager with cntrl-alt-backspace. Now I can add new launchers to the taskbar as needed, by manually editing that file. Perhaps there's a better way. If so I'd still like to know what it is.

I have a Mac I don't use much. In Mac, when ever you start an application an icon appears transiently in the taskbar. But at any time you can right click it and choose something like "keep in taskbar" ....................gnome window managers should take note.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Not sure what's wrong in your installation; in mine, I can add any application that is on the menu to the panel by rightclicking it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

That seems like a lot of trouble - in Cinnamon just click on the menu then simply right click on the launder you want to add to the task bar and click add to pannel

Return to “Cinnamon”