Memory usage by Cinnamon components

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Memory usage by Cinnamon components

Post by Petermint »

Cinnamon is using 278 MB on my machine when there is little activity and not many extra applications installed over a default LM 18.2 install. Nemo-desktop uses 21 MB. The blueman-appliet uses 20 MB. There is a heap of other tasks that look like they are Cinnamon components including csd-background using 10 MB. This seems excessive for things not in use and things that should share code.

Bluetooth is not active. Surely the bluetooth icon should be a tiny piece of code with just an on button with the bulk of the code launched only when bluetooth is on. If the code is there to display the icon, the code should be common to all the other icons for unused applets and should be loaded only once by Cinnamon.

Can things like bluetooth and csd-wacom be removed from automatic startup and be started from menu entries on those rare occasions I use bluetooth or a tablet? Is csd-background needed when I have only a plain background?

I do not currently need the memory, my usage is only 1.8 GB out of 3.8 GB. Occasionally I run projects where memory usage is critical. I shut down all the obvious memory users. Trimming out one applet might not make a difference but trimming out several bits would help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Memory usage by Cinnamon components

Post by Pjotr »

Check your startup applications.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Memory usage by Cinnamon components

Post by Petermint »

Thank you for the Startup Applications. Switched off Blueman, mintUpload, mintwelcome, Nvidia prime. 1.4 dropped down to 1.3 GB.

Killed csd-background and nothing bad happened. Ended csd-screensaver and found I cannot lock the screen. Looks like I need screensaver but not csd-background.

Everything else is only 3.5 MB each.

Return to “Cinnamon”