Making Mint more touch screen friendly

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mizuti

Making Mint more touch screen friendly

Post by Mizuti »

Hi,

I recently got a new HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 laptop and I am running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon on it (kernel version 4.13.0-16-generic).
I've been trying to make it a little bit more touch screen friendly.
There are 2 features I would like to try to get to work and I would appreciate any help that I can get here.

1 - The first of the settings I'd like to change is the width of the scrollbar, so that it can be reached more easily with a finger on the screen.
For most of the apps I managed to increase the width of the scrollbar by changing the value of the "-GtkRange-slider-width" option in the scrollbars section of /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css

However, a number of KDE apps that I happen to frequently use (Kate, Kile, Dolphin, Konqueror, etc.) are still stuck with the standard narrow scrollbar. Is there a similar configuration file or another way for the KDE apps in which the scrollbar width can be adjusted?

2 - On the login screen there is a button to make an on-screen keyboard appear so that it's possible to enter the password by touchscreen. The lock-screen, however, does not seem to support such a feature. Is it possible somehow to add a virtual on-screen keyboard to the lock screen as well?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Making Mint more touch screen friendly

Post by JosephM »

However, a number of KDE apps that I happen to frequently use (Kate, Kile, Dolphin, Konqueror, etc.) are still stuck with the standard narrow scrollbar. Is there a similar configuration file or another way for the KDE apps in which the scrollbar width can be adjusted?
KDE apps use the gtk2 theme. So look look in the gtk-2.0/gtkrc file. There is a similar setting somewhere near the top of the file.

You don't have to use the scrollbars to scroll though. Just sliding your finger within the scroll area should allow scrolling the window.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Mizuti

Re: Making Mint more touch screen friendly

Post by Mizuti »

Thank you, changing GtkScrollbar::slider-width in gtkrc did the trick!
You don't have to use the scrollbars to scroll though. Just sliding your finger within the scroll area should allow scrolling the window.
I found that it does have a noticeable effect. I kept selecting text just next to the scrollbar.
Actually, it would be more ideal if the KDE apps would accept the normal sliding gesture to scroll, like the other apps already do, but this is a reasonable workaround.

Return to “Cinnamon”