Anyone else get flickering desktop backgrounds and windows periodically on NVIDIA cards in Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Yfrwlf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Anyone else get flickering desktop backgrounds and windows periodically on NVIDIA cards in Cinnamon?

Post by Yfrwlf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 pm

jodel wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 am
I am using the Nouveau Driver and have the exact same effect. Black Boxes randomly appearing on the second screen and being really annoying and flickering. GTK CSS fix applied but did not work.

As I use the Nouveau Driver and _not_ the NVIDIA driver, I daresay it's nothing to do with the NVIDIA driver but with a second monitor setup in Linux Mint 19.

This didn't happen to me in Linux Mint 18.
That would mean it's a Xorg or Muffin/Cinnamon issue I assume. I always install the proprietary driver since you can't do gaming without it.

recluce
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Anyone else get flickering desktop backgrounds and windows periodically on NVIDIA cards in Cinnamon?

Post by recluce » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Interesting, I have the same issue with a dual and one triple screen setup, both using Nvidia cards and Nvidia drivers. Here is my system configuration:

Cinnamon: 4.0.0
Muffin: 4.0.0-1
xorg-server: 1.20.3-1
nvidia driver: 410.66-3
Linux Kernel: 4.18.16

GPU on System 1: Nvidia GTX 970 (Intel CPU without graphics)
GPU on System 2: Nvidia Quadro P4000 (Intel graphics disabled in BIOS)

Now comes a big difference in system configuration that does not seem to make a difference, I still get occasional random flicker on both machines, mostly of backgrounds: I am not running Cinnamon on Mint, but on Artix Rolling (Artix is an Arch Linux fork without systemd). So the issue seems to be very much OS independent and just connected "somehow" to the interaction between Cinnamon / xorg / Nvidia Card. Oddly, I did not have these problems on the same hardware with Mint 17 (and whatever the versions of the other software were back then).

Return to “Cinnamon”