Cinnamon crashed and goes to fallback mode after updating

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lapaul

Cinnamon crashed and goes to fallback mode after updating

Post by lapaul »

I just recently install a lot of updates through the update manager and the now I am getting the message: "Do you want to restart Cinnamon?
Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode." and the screen is completely black and no menus work or applications work. I tried searching but couldn't find a solution that seemed relevant, most of the threads seem to be about problems with a nvidia drive which I'm not sure if I even have but I don't think I do.
Also when I ran the updates 2 updates weren't able to install for some reason, I think one of them was the Opera browser and I forgot what the other one was, I don't know if it has anything to do with that. My laptop is a lenovo z570 that I bought I think over 5 years ago and I am running Linux Mint 17.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon crashed and goes to fallback mode after updating

Post by Pjotr »

Try to boot from a previous kernel (if available).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lapaul

Post by lapaul »

Pjotr wrote:Try to boot from a previous kernel (if available).
How do I do that? I searched and it says to press the SHIFT key while booting and the grub menu will come up with the option to choose a different kernel. My laptop is dual booted with windows 7 so when I turn on my laptop grub already comes up but I don't see an option to choose another kernel. And I tried pressing the SHIFT key while loading linux but that didn't do anything.

I thought about trying to install mate and use that instead. Will that work?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Older kernels (if available) are "hidden" under the Advanced section of the Grub bootloader menu.
lapaul

Post by lapaul »

Pjotr wrote:Older kernels (if available) are "hidden" under the Advanced section of the Grub bootloader menu.
I don't see an Advanced Secion of Grub. This is what my screen looks like when I first turn on my laptop:
https://imgur.com/a/bKNQh
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

lapaul wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Older kernels (if available) are "hidden" under the Advanced section of the Grub bootloader menu.
I don't see an Advanced Secion of Grub. This is what my screen looks like when I first turn on my laptop:
https://imgur.com/a/bKNQh
You're right: in Mint 17 there's an older Grub, which is a bit different from the modern Grub of Mint 18.x.
Anyway, it can already be seen from your screenshot, that there's no other kernel.

Boot into recovery mode and generate an overview of your system like this:

- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);

- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;

- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

- Press Enter.

- Copy/paste the output in your next message.
ehtron
Level 10
Level 10

Post by ehtron »

Hi :)
do you read this?
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=251034

is the same error into the log?
Lg. Ehtron :)
Keine Hilfe bei fehlender System / Desktop Angabe.
Ich gebe Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe.
lapaul

Post by lapaul »

lapaul@lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: HuronRiver Platform version: Lenovo Z570
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Emerald Lake version: FAB1 Bios: LENOVO version: 45CN28WW date: 02/22/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2310M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8380.86 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 2100.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (31.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPVT size: 750.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 29G used: 23G (82%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 260G used: 200G (82%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: 41.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 194 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 1105.3/7898.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
lapaul@lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 ~ $
lapaul

Post by lapaul »

ehtron wrote:Hi :)
do you read this?
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=251034

is the same error into the log?
No I'm not getting that error, I get a different error message when I run that command:

lapaul@lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 ~ $ tail -f /var/log/syslog
Nov 17 01:02:57 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 NetworkManager[929]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Nov 17 01:02:57 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 NetworkManager[929]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) started...
Nov 17 01:02:57 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 NetworkManager[929]: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) complete.
Nov 17 01:02:58 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 cinnamon-session[2069]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' killed by signal 15
Nov 17 01:03:00 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 cinnamon-session[2069]: WARNING: App 'cinnamon.desktop' respawning too quickly
Nov 17 01:03:00 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 cinnamon-session[2069]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
Nov 17 01:03:13 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 wpa_supplicant[943]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED 
Nov 17 01:03:14 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 wpa_supplicant[943]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
Nov 17 01:04:16 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 wpa_supplicant[943]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED 
Nov 17 01:05:39 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 wpa_supplicant[943]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED 
Nov 17 01:07:22 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 wpa_supplicant[943]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED 
Nov 17 01:07:23 lapaul-Lenovo-Z570 wpa_supplicant[943]: nl80211: send_and_recv->nl_recvmsgs failed: -33
notcoldenough

Post by notcoldenough »

On November 16, 2017, I updated Mint 17.3 using the update manager. In the past, I have used the update manager several times successfully. However, this time, Cinnamon would not load and Mint went into fallback mode. I spent hours trying to get Cinnamon going and ended up completely reinstalling Mint17.3. Not a pleasant experience. This makes me leery of doing any updates in the future.

John
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

notcoldenough wrote:On November 16, 2017, I updated Mint 17.3 using the update manager. In the past, I have used the update manager several times successfully. However, this time, Cinnamon would not load and Mint went into fallback mode. I spent hours trying to get Cinnamon going and ended up completely reinstalling Mint17.3. Not a pleasant experience. This makes me leery of doing any updates in the future.

John
Did you install level 4 and/or level 5 updates?
notcoldenough

Post by notcoldenough »

Pjotr wrote:
notcoldenough wrote:On November 16, 2017, I updated Mint 17.3 using the update manager. In the past, I have used the update manager several times successfully. However, this time, Cinnamon would not load and Mint went into fallback mode. I spent hours trying to get Cinnamon going and ended up completely reinstalling Mint17.3. Not a pleasant experience. This makes me leery of doing any updates in the future.

John
Did you install level 4 and/or level 5 updates?
I believe it was level 3 & below.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Has anyone found a solution to this one yet? I did an update on my desktop machine yesterday before reading this and have the same problem.

If all else fails I guess it will be safest to do a backup and then install LM 18.2.

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
lapaul

Post by lapaul »

russellz wrote:Has anyone found a solution to this one yet? I did an update on my desktop machine yesterday before reading this and have the same problem.

If all else fails I guess it will be safest to do a backup and then install LM 18.2.

Russell
I got cinnammon working again. I used the command:

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop
to install the mate desktop and then restarted my laptop. When I restarted I clicked on the y symbol thing to try to switch to using Mate but it didn't have Mate as an option, it had latest, cinnamon and 2 others I forgot exactly what they were. So I clicked on latest to try to choose that and it didn't look like it did anything, so then I click on Cinnamon and it still looked like it wasn't selecting any option so I just clicked on latest again and logged in and somehow miraculously the Cinnamon desktop worked again. I don't know how or why but it's working again for now, hopefully it doesn't crash again when I restart my laptop.

Return to “Cinnamon”