I'd like to install IBM Plex fonts how do I

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

I'd like to install IBM Plex fonts how do I

Post by urdrwho »

I was reading an article on The Register about IBM ditching Helvetica and created a Font called Plex. Plex is Open Source and I would like to check it out and install the fonts. Any idea how or where to get the installer or PPA for such fonts?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/0 ... font_plex/

There is some reference to the fonts at GIthub but I am not sure how to use their reference to install the fonts.

https://github.com/IBM/type
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I'd like to install IBM Plex fonts how do I

Post by phd21 »

Hi "urdrwho",

Anyone can install any fonts in "ttf" format in any edition of Linux Mint. Bring up a font manager application, and import (add) the font(s). If you do not have a font manager installed, then install one from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) first (font-manager). You may be able to import various font formats in addition to "ttf" truetype fonts.

If you go to the Github webpage for IBM Plex font click the clone download button save the "type-master.zip" archive file somewhere, then right click that using your file manager and select extract here which creates a new "type-master" folder, browse to the Fonts folder and there should be 3 folders of fonts which you can import into your system locally personal (user) or globally system wide for all users.

Note: I had to file manager browse ("Files" (nemo)) into each folder (Mono, Sans, Serif) to the "pc" subfolder, select all fonts (ctrl+a), then hit okay to import them all at once, then I went into the next folder and repeated that. If you have trouble installing the system wide, try personal user.
/home/user69/Downloads/type-master/fonts/Mono/desktop/pc/

Hope this helps ...
Fonts_Adding1.jpg
Fonts_Adding2.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

urdrwho wrote:Any idea how or where to get the installer or PPA for such fonts?
If it's a TTF font, do this:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype
sudo mkdir plex
sudo cp /from/wherever/the-flex-font.ttf plex/.
sudo fc-cache -fv
Obviously "/from/wherever/the-flex-font.ttf" is the path and real name of the font, from wherever on your disk that you downloaded it (Probably ~/Downloads).

The font will be in
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/plex/the-flex-font.ttf
It should show up wherever you select fonts.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "urdrwho",

I had to boot into Cinnamon 18.2 to see what font options there are. Without installing anything extra, You can just right click a font file (something.ttf) from your file manager "Files" (nemo) and "open with font viewer" (1st option usually), then click install in the upper right; this method has to be done per font file. To import more than one at a time, install a font manager like "font-manager", or "FontBase".

FontBase – A Beautiful Font Manager for Designers
https://www.fossmint.com/fontbase-font- ... designers/

Hope this helps ...
Cinnamon_Add_Fonts1_copy.jpg
Cinnamon_Add_Fonts2_copy.jpg
Font Manager - screen1

Font Manager - screen2
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

urdrwho wrote:I was reading an article on The Register about IBM ditching Helvetica and created a Font called Plex.
I installed them after I read the same article when it was published. My overall first impression was positive - it includes Serif, Sans Serif and Mono versions, and in a good range of weights. I thought it was a nice, general-purpose typeface.

I thought about posting an announcement, but stopped after I gave it another look and decided it really was not a necessary typeface. Plex is similar in appearance to DejaVu, Free, Liberation, Nimbus, and Noto type families, all of which (I think) are installed with Linux Mint.

My second impression was meh. It is not a bad typeface, but it is not great or necessary. One of the stated reasons for spending two years! developing it was to avoid the cost to license Neue Helvetica. I wonder if it would have been more cost-effective to acquire Monotype Imaging....:roll:
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

take all those fonts.ttf and just copy them into .fonts/ (create a .fonts folder in your home partition if you don't have one) that's it
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Fonts are installed and I thank everyone for their help.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "urdrwho",

You are welcome from all of us that responded...

Return to “Cinnamon”