Unable to change desktop background image

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hpc

Unable to change desktop background image

Post by hpc »

Hello, recently, I upgraded my linux desktop to linuxmint 18.2 with cinnamon. The problem I am facing is that I am unable to change the background image. Right after the upgrade, I was able to change the background image. I installed a few more applications including Insync (with nemo integration), updated a few other packages and rebooted the machine.

The background image after the reboot is totally grey and I am now not able to change the image at all. I notice from the output of

Code: Select all

gsettings get org.cinnamon.desktop.background picture-uri
that the right background image is selected. In fact, if I change the image, the correct file is listed as the output of this command. However, the background continues to be grey.

I did a search on this issue and tried some of the solutions proposed. None of them seem to help my situation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: When I logout or lock the screen, the image shows up on the login screen. But once I login, the background turns grey.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hpc

Re: Unable to change desktop background image

Post by hpc »

So, when I switch users, the background image setting works just fine. Therefore, it seems like this is to do with the settings in my account.
HongHose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HongHose »

I also have a similar problem. I can only change the background image temporarily but after rebooting, the default Linux Mint background will be shown. However on the lock screen, my customised background image is shown and the mentioned command also directs to the right image.

If someone knows a solution to this, it would be nice to hear. Thanks.
relic76
Level 2
Level 2

Post by relic76 »

I just upgraded from 18.1 to 18.3 cinnamon today and have the exact same problem. It is a grey background, but when I go to shut down my preferred background shows up as it should be for the entire session.

relic76
Bob
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No need for double posting. See my reply in your own thread.

Return to “Cinnamon”