[Solved] How to change Nemo's background color?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

My eyes do not like white background, so I would like to change its color. There is a tutorial, but it does not work in LMDE 2.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: How to change Nemo's background color?

Post by Penn »

Code: Select all

.view {
    background-color: #000000;
    color: @theme_text_color;
}
LMDE2. I don't remember which Cinnamon/Nemo version this started in and it will probably change a few other minor things to black but of course you can choose a different color. I use #202020 but I like a dark theme.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Penn wrote:

.view {
}
LMDE2. I don't remember which Cinnamon/Nemo version this started in and it will probably change a few other minor things to black but of course you can choose a different color. I use #202020 but I like a dark theme.
Obviously LMDE is immune all kind of attempts to change Nemo's background color ... or I just cannot change the color. :?
Penn

Post by Penn »

administrollaattori wrote:
Penn wrote:

.view {
}
Obviously LMDE is immune all kind of attempts to change Nemo's background color ... or I just cannot change the color. :?
You didn't say which theme you wanted to alter so I just posted the line that I found works, which should already exist if you are using Mint-X.

/usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css in the section for * viewport *. It works in my LMDE2 install, assuming you want to change what I think you want to change. Actually, if you were to make it black "background-color" in Mint-X you would also want to change the "color" since the text might not be readable with black background.

If you aren't using Mint-X the section should still exist but I don't know where.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I reseted everything in the /usr/share/themes folder, but Nemo's backgroud color seems to bolted to fcfcfc color. Everything else applications accept chancing the color, but not Nemo. Anyway it is not so big problem. Maybe it is a new feature, because I installed Cinnamon desktop a few days ago.

Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.14.5+4) Distro: LinuxMint 2 betsy 
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

After long fight I found an easy solution, which works with every theme. :D
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=258354

I just made a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file, which content is:

.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item {
  color: #ffffff;
}

.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item:selected {
  background-color: alpha (#e0d963, 0.2);
}

NemoWindow .sidebar, NemoWindow .sidebar .view {