18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DerrickS

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by DerrickS »

Postby ArtGirl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm
Teksonik wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:
I saw a post on here the other day, by cyr4x, about dconf-editor (synaptics), and was very happy to be able to get free resizing of icons back ... org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". There's

Yes ! Thank you ! I missed the free resizing of icons and now thanks to your help and (cyr4x) I've got it back. :D

Now if the icons will just stay put after a reboot we're in business.

Absolutely, and no problem; glad you're enjoying the free resizing again! :D
Don't mean to sound nit picky your post failed to mention that you had to download and install the dconf-editor. :roll: At least my icons are now behaving themselves after following the above.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the quoting somewhat readable.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

DerrickS wrote:
Postby ArtGirl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm
Teksonik wrote:

Yes ! Thank you ! I missed the free resizing of icons and now thanks to your help and (cyr4x) I've got it back. :D

Now if the icons will just stay put after a reboot we're in business.
Absolutely, and no problem; glad you're enjoying the free resizing again! :D
Don't mean to sound nit picky your post failed to mention that you had to download and install the dconf-editor. :roll: At least my icons are now behaving themselves after following the above.
Yes, I did ie (synaptics) written in brackets after. People know what synaptics is, and obviously staring at it in synaptics wouldn't work. You've even quoted Teksonik clearly knowing what to do and that working. I've posted no end of very clear and helpful posts recently, so drop the criticism.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Yes the instructions were perfectly clear here and I'm no Linux expert. :wink:

Sadly I'm still getting jumping icons. One boot everything will be fine, the next boot icons have moved around. Once all the non system icons changed size. Hopefully the bugs will get worked out in a soon to be released update. :)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Teksonik wrote:Yes the instructions were perfectly clear here and I'm no Linux expert. :wink:

Sadly I'm still getting jumping icons. One boot everything will be fine, the next boot icons have moved around. Once all the non system icons changed size. Hopefully the bugs will get worked out in a soon to be released update. :)
Thanks Teksonik :) ,and, yes, me still too. I can recommend installing Cairo Dock, so some of the varmints can be restrained on that, lol, and had been noticing the right side of the desktop affected more (32-bit games running), so I've moved those remaining to the left. I've switched off any native drive/bin icons.
Yes, the bug-squishing for the new release should fix things fine. :D
Last edited by ArtGirl on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ezilg

Post by ezilg »

Hello, for me none of this has worked so far.
After I upgraded to 18.3, the icons on the desktop had disappeared.
The content of the destop can only be viewed via my personal folder.
What did I miss ?
randolindso0

Post by randolindso0 »

Mint Cinnamon 18.3 64-bit, previously upgraded from 18.2......Just updated Cinnamon from 3.6.6 to 3.6.7 and Nemo from 3.6.4+sylvia to 3.6.5+sylvia....rather disappointed that "Computer" and "Trash" icons still shift on reboot. Other than that 18.3 is just simply outstanding!
sven0907

Post by sven0907 »

Dear all,

i have the same problem but a config change with dconf editor does not solve the problem. I finde the same info in german LMU forum.
And i think not everyone knows how to do it.
sven0907

Post by sven0907 »

the error occurs only if the desktop icons are not arranged automatically and not aligned to the grid.
randolindso0

Post by randolindso0 »

Just an FYI for those still working on the problem...
I had some spare time and the weather outside was rotten so I wiped my current thrice-updated (18>18.1>18.2>18.3) version of Mint Cinnamon and installed 18.3 anew. The "desktop icons moving on reboot" problem was gone. I did not select "auto-arrange". I did select "align to grid". Perfect!
Interesting, and beyond the scope of my limited expertise as to why, but obviously something carried over from versions 18, 18.1, and/or 18.2. Not a specific fix to the specific "icon moving" problem on my thrice-updated version of Mint Cinnamon, I know, but all is well. And frankly, the fresh install seems to "feel" faster, smoother.
sven0907

Post by sven0907 »

randolindso0 wrote:Just an FYI for those still working on the problem...
I had some spare time and the weather outside was rotten so I wiped my current thrice-updated (18>18.1>18.2>18.3) version of Mint Cinnamon and installed 18.3 anew. The "desktop icons moving on reboot" problem was gone. I did not select "auto-arrange". I did select "align to grid". Perfect!
Interesting, and beyond the scope of my limited expertise as to why, but obviously something carried over from versions 18, 18.1, and/or 18.2. Not a specific fix to the specific "icon moving" problem on my thrice-updated version of Mint Cinnamon, I know, but all is well. And frankly, the fresh install seems to "feel" faster, smoother.

yes but the error occurs only if the desktop icons are not arranged automatically and not aligned to the grid.
randolindso0

Post by randolindso0 »

In my situation the error occurred with the icons not arranged automatically but they were aligned to grid. Upon complete reinstall, with the exact same settings, the problem was gone. Obviously, there are different scenarios that produce the same error.
dr0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dr0 »

For me, upon desktop refresh (pressing F5) Home and Trash icons are moving while being aligned to a grid but not arranged automatically. This happens only with small sized icons and only when they are arranged vertically. If I arrange small icons horizontally and place them in the very top row they won't move anywhere. And if I set the icon size to medium they won't move either, no matter how I arrange them (vertically or horizontally).
I was also able to recreate this behavior on a fresh install of Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.

https://youtu.be/-nSSU52kkjI

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 32-bit
Cinnamon 3.6.6
Nemo 3.6.4
a1b2c3

Post by a1b2c3 »

Have the same bug with self-moving desktop icons.
Mint 18.3 x64
* Cinnamon 3.6.7
* nemo 3.6.5
KDM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KDM »

Just moved from LM 18.2 Cinn to 18.3 preparing for upgrade to 19... This problem appeared for me after the upgrade. It seems that some form of this issue goes back to 2012 - Github Issue #108 and has never been addressed.
Anyway, my icons move and often overlap every time I refresh the desktop [F5] using small icons when auto-arrange is off. It doesn't appear to matter if I have them aligned vertically or horizontally, or whether Align to Grid is on or off. The system icons, in particular, will never stay near the bottom of the screen, they move up on the screen every time it is refreshed (or after every re-boot) until they either overlap another icon or reach the top of the screen.

I don't agree that this is a minor issue. When the icons overlap they must be moved to be usable at all, and it is a matter of work-flow. I don't want to have to close windows and search around the desktop to find an icon when I need it. Yeah, okay, I can avoid the problem: just choose auto-arrange and let the system put the icons where it wants and get used to it (ie. Windows 3.1), or use larger icons that don't move - my solution for now (big clunky icons), or stop using desktop icons, or I could revert back to v18.2, where--for some reason I wasn't having the problem. But that really doesn't solve the problem.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

So after a year, there was never a fix for this? Just upgraded to 18.3 and have the same "moving trash" icon
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's fixed in 19 it that's any consolation.

In 18.3 if you are happy to use the same icon size as the size set as default in nemo preferences turning off the desktop-grid entirely in dconf editor or with the command gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid false will avoid the issue.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 am It's fixed in 19 it that's any consolation.

In 18.3 if you are happy to use the same icon size as the size set as default in nemo preferences turning off the desktop-grid entirely in dconf editor or with the command gsettings set org.nemo.desktop use-desktop-grid false will avoid the issue.
No, it doesnt avoid/fix the issue. In fact, absolutely zero people in this thread, said that that changing that setting worked for them. Four people specifically said the issue persisted after changing that setting. Make that 5 people now, counting me. Please dont tell people something works as a fix, when it obviously doesnt. I doubt I will be switching to 19, when a simple upgrade to 18.3 is dealing me fits that have yet to be addressed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I tested it before posting in an 18.3 install and it does solve the issue. Read the thread more carefully. The setting referred to is not exposed in the GUI i.e it's not the same as unticking auto-arrange or align to grid in the context menu. You need to use dconf-editor or the gsettings command listed to turn of the desktop grid entirely.

And it is mentioned as working in several posts in this thread - viewtopic.php?p=1395243#p1395243 and subsequent posts.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm I tested it before posting in an 18.3 install and it does solve the issue. Read the thread more carefully. The setting referred to is not exposed in the GUI i.e it's not the same as unticking auto-arrange or align to grid in the context menu. You need to use dconf-editor or the gsettings command listed to turn of the desktop grid entirely.

And it is mentioned as working in several posts in this thread - viewtopic.php?p=1395243#p1395243 and subsequent posts.
I did use dconf editor. And just like the other people I mentioned, it didn't work for us. Only one person (DerrickS) in this thread, said that using the "dconf edit" suggestion solved their issue. Every single other person, still had the issue... including the person (ArtGirl) who posted the fix:
ArtGirl wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:50 am
Teksonik wrote:Yes the instructions were perfectly clear here and I'm no Linux expert. :wink:

Thanks Teksonik :) ,and, yes, me still too. I can recommend installing Cairo Dock, so some of the varmints can be restrained on that, lol, and had been noticing the right side of the desktop affected more (32-bit games running), so I've moved those remaining to the left. I've switched off any native drive/bin icons.
Yes, the bug-squishing for the new release should fix things fine. :D
So no, thats not a "fix" to me, when only one person solved their issue. Besides, the thread you linked above, is "this" thread.... which makes no sense. We are already reading this thread, which supplies no fix. There were not "several" people who mentioned the dconf edit as "working". Did you mean to link a different thread that actually had a working fix?

Fx or not, it bothers me that this was reported as a bug, yet it was never fixed, and people are still having to deal with it a year later :cry:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK my bad - we are looking at two different bugs. The fix outlined prevents the icons migrating up the screen bug in freeform mode which is still extent in 18.3. I note there is still a little but of displacement of icons in freeform mode on refresh aswell in free placement mode irrespective of grid on or off. . No solution for that other than it can be minimised by reducing the vertical and horizontal offsets to 0.5 in dconf-editor

Neither bug is apparent in 19.

Return to “Cinnamon”