18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
DerrickS
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:07 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by DerrickS » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Postby ArtGirl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm
Teksonik wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:
I saw a post on here the other day, by cyr4x, about dconf-editor (synaptics), and was very happy to be able to get free resizing of icons back ... org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". There's


Yes ! Thank you ! I missed the free resizing of icons and now thanks to your help and (cyr4x) I've got it back. :D

Now if the icons will just stay put after a reboot we're in business.


Absolutely, and no problem; glad you're enjoying the free resizing again! :D
Don't mean to sound nit picky your post failed to mention that you had to download and install the dconf-editor. :roll: At least my icons are now behaving themselves after following the above.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the quoting somewhat readable.

User avatar
ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by ArtGirl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 pm

DerrickS wrote:
Postby ArtGirl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm
Teksonik wrote:

Yes ! Thank you ! I missed the free resizing of icons and now thanks to your help and (cyr4x) I've got it back. :D

Now if the icons will just stay put after a reboot we're in business.
Absolutely, and no problem; glad you're enjoying the free resizing again! :D
Don't mean to sound nit picky your post failed to mention that you had to download and install the dconf-editor. :roll: At least my icons are now behaving themselves after following the above.
Yes, I did ie (synaptics) written in brackets after. People know what synaptics is, and obviously staring at it in synaptics wouldn't work. You've even quoted Teksonik clearly knowing what to do and that working. I've posted no end of very clear and helpful posts recently, so drop the criticism.
LM 18.3 Mate 64-bit
Radeon R9 255, Mesa 17.2.8, kernel 4.15.0-13,
Lenovo Erazer x310, intel quad i7-4790, 16 gig ram,
Ugee 2150/Krita 4.1 beta appimage


Image

Teksonik
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by Teksonik » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:00 am

Yes the instructions were perfectly clear here and I'm no Linux expert. :wink:

Sadly I'm still getting jumping icons. One boot everything will be fine, the next boot icons have moved around. Once all the non system icons changed size. Hopefully the bugs will get worked out in a soon to be released update. :)

User avatar
ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by ArtGirl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:50 am

Teksonik wrote:Yes the instructions were perfectly clear here and I'm no Linux expert. :wink:

Sadly I'm still getting jumping icons. One boot everything will be fine, the next boot icons have moved around. Once all the non system icons changed size. Hopefully the bugs will get worked out in a soon to be released update. :)
Thanks Teksonik :) ,and, yes, me still too. I can recommend installing Cairo Dock, so some of the varmints can be restrained on that, lol, and had been noticing the right side of the desktop affected more (32-bit games running), so I've moved those remaining to the left. I've switched off any native drive/bin icons.
Yes, the bug-squishing for the new release should fix things fine. :D
Last edited by ArtGirl on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
LM 18.3 Mate 64-bit
Radeon R9 255, Mesa 17.2.8, kernel 4.15.0-13,
Lenovo Erazer x310, intel quad i7-4790, 16 gig ram,
Ugee 2150/Krita 4.1 beta appimage


Image

ezilg
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:45 am

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by ezilg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Hello, for me none of this has worked so far.
After I upgraded to 18.3, the icons on the desktop had disappeared.
The content of the destop can only be viewed via my personal folder.
What did I miss ?

randolindso0
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by randolindso0 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Mint Cinnamon 18.3 64-bit, previously upgraded from 18.2......Just updated Cinnamon from 3.6.6 to 3.6.7 and Nemo from 3.6.4+sylvia to 3.6.5+sylvia....rather disappointed that "Computer" and "Trash" icons still shift on reboot. Other than that 18.3 is just simply outstanding!

sven0907
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:13 am

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by sven0907 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Dear all,

i have the same problem but a config change with dconf editor does not solve the problem. I finde the same info in german LMU forum.
And i think not everyone knows how to do it.

sven0907
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:13 am

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by sven0907 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:02 am

the error occurs only if the desktop icons are not arranged automatically and not aligned to the grid.

randolindso0
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by randolindso0 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Just an FYI for those still working on the problem...
I had some spare time and the weather outside was rotten so I wiped my current thrice-updated (18>18.1>18.2>18.3) version of Mint Cinnamon and installed 18.3 anew. The "desktop icons moving on reboot" problem was gone. I did not select "auto-arrange". I did select "align to grid". Perfect!
Interesting, and beyond the scope of my limited expertise as to why, but obviously something carried over from versions 18, 18.1, and/or 18.2. Not a specific fix to the specific "icon moving" problem on my thrice-updated version of Mint Cinnamon, I know, but all is well. And frankly, the fresh install seems to "feel" faster, smoother.

sven0907
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:13 am

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by sven0907 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm

randolindso0 wrote:Just an FYI for those still working on the problem...
I had some spare time and the weather outside was rotten so I wiped my current thrice-updated (18>18.1>18.2>18.3) version of Mint Cinnamon and installed 18.3 anew. The "desktop icons moving on reboot" problem was gone. I did not select "auto-arrange". I did select "align to grid". Perfect!
Interesting, and beyond the scope of my limited expertise as to why, but obviously something carried over from versions 18, 18.1, and/or 18.2. Not a specific fix to the specific "icon moving" problem on my thrice-updated version of Mint Cinnamon, I know, but all is well. And frankly, the fresh install seems to "feel" faster, smoother.

yes but the error occurs only if the desktop icons are not arranged automatically and not aligned to the grid.

randolindso0
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by randolindso0 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 am

In my situation the error occurred with the icons not arranged automatically but they were aligned to grid. Upon complete reinstall, with the exact same settings, the problem was gone. Obviously, there are different scenarios that produce the same error.

dr0
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 am

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by dr0 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 am

For me, upon desktop refresh (pressing F5) Home and Trash icons are moving while being aligned to a grid but not arranged automatically. This happens only with small sized icons and only when they are arranged vertically. If I arrange small icons horizontally and place them in the very top row they won't move anywhere. And if I set the icon size to medium they won't move either, no matter how I arrange them (vertically or horizontally).
I was also able to recreate this behavior on a fresh install of Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.

https://youtu.be/-nSSU52kkjI

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 32-bit
Cinnamon 3.6.6
Nemo 3.6.4

Post Reply

Return to “Cinnamon”