18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ehtron
Level 10
Level 10

18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by ehtron »

Hi :)

update from 18.2 > 18.3 Cinnamon
nemo 3.6.4 moves some icons on the desktop up on screen top every refresh (F5) or reboot.

i'm test with downgrade to nemo and nemo data 3.4.7.. thats solves the problem, but its gives a dependence problem to cinnamon.

that shows, nemo 3.6.4 has ab bug...
Lg. Ehtron :)
Keine Hilfe bei fehlender System / Desktop Angabe.
Ich gebe Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe.
ehtron
Level 10
Level 10

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by ehtron »

found the bug
dconf
org.nemo.desktop/vertikal-grid-adjust
default 1.0
set to 0.5 gives the moving problem..

the descrition say
Overrides the standard vertical spacing for the desktop grid, in situation where default spacing is not ideal due to label customizations. This is a value from 0.5 to 1.5, with 1.0 being no adjustment, and 0.5 being half the default spacing.
0.5 should work.. its a bug in nemo.
aztec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aztec »

Hi ehtron,
(Specs- Mint 18.3, Nvidia Graphics card, customised desktop icons, twin-screens)

Just acknowledging your post and that you seem to have isolated it to nemo grid settings.
I notice right click desktop settings 'Align to grid' seems to be greyed out with me.

I was getting 'icon links' stacking one on top of the other when saving to desktop.
I switched to 'Auto-arrange' and now can't switch back. Ha.

There are many past postings I have read regarding the nemo grid and various issues.
So in case this 'bug' is being tracked by developers I second there being an issue.
Seem to remember it used to be possible to change the grid size as a settings option.
Ad_

Post by Ad_ »

I upgraded to Mint 18.3 Cinnamon today (clean install) and have ran into issues with the desktop icon arrangement too. When the icon size is set to "smaller" it does not properly remember the icon arrangement. I've done some testing:

If I move the "special" desktop icons (Computer, Home, mounted volumes etc.) down towards the bottom of the desktop, I can keep refreshing and each time I refresh the desktop they move up one space until they either reach the top, or until they reach a "normal" item on the desktop (at which point they converge on the space the other item occupies).

This only happens when icon size is set to "smaller". Also, when the "special" icons are in the top positions if a blank space is left separating them from the normal icons the icon arrangement does not get messed up.

I've worked around it for now by setting it to auto-arrange by modification date, but this might become a bit of a hassle later, so hopefully it won't take too long to fix.

(on a related note, it would be nice to have a desktop icon size between "smaller" and "normal"; at normal size they feel too big, while "smaller" is a bit too much on the small side IMO)

Edit: images
desktop1.png
desktop1a.png
desktop2.png
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

I've done a clean 18.3 install today and everything's really great, except for an issue with desktop icons (larger/free-arrange, and chose to run mdm). When I refresh, the rubbish bin sits under another icon, and, after installing 32-bit architecture, when I play a wine game that goes across to the other screen (leaving a zoomed portion on the main monitor), the icons have gone completely demented, lol ... many missing, and had to reboot to see them, after which they're spaced out equally across the desktop, requiring 40 icons to be free-arranged again, + rainlendar had moved across the desktop. I'm seeing little adjustments I need to make to some icons on a normal reboot as well. I'd turned off the computer, drives and home icons. I've since altered dconf so I can freesize icons, and now, on running the same game all the right side's icons bunch up into one vertical line and a few others do different things eg 4 move up from the bottom of the screen to over an inch above, and a couple of top icons move to overlap an icon to the left.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ajc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ajc »

Yep, just want to confirm that I'm having the same issues ...

it happens with the Computer, Home & Network icons ... they move to the right, by an icon space
... all the other icons underneath them, remain where they are.

It's happening on both of my desktop machines, different resolutions, and one with desktop icon size : normal or small.

I also run a script which creates folders to different places on my NAS-Box
... I have them at the bottom of the screen, but every time I login, or F5 refresh, they all move 1 icon space up
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

I came here to start a thread on the same subject. Icons move after every boot or F5.

Is there an official bug report forum or will this thread get the attention of the developer ? I'm not sure of the proper procedure for reporting bugs here. :)
Ajc wrote:it happens with the Computer, Home & Network icons ... they move to the right, by an icon space
Exactly what happens here.

Auto Arrange and Align to Grid are both off. Icon size is Larger.
Art1

Post by Art1 »

I can confirm it, too. In my case, the Network icon hides under the Home icon, and the Trash icon moves up. Every time I log in. Other desktop icons seem OK.
Ajc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ajc »

just checked and : https://linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php

is the place to report any bugs ... will need to have a look and see if it's already been reported
ehtron
Level 10
Level 10

Post by ehtron »

in github is only one issue, and he post the same pic two times..

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues
DerrickS

Post by DerrickS »

Up to and including Linux Mint 18.2, I did not get this issue of screen icons moving about, but since installing Linux Mint 18.3, I have started getting this. It only does this with the desktop icons, nothing else, so it seems as though there is a minor glitch in the 18.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit nemo, that was not there before. Does anyone know if a solution to this has been found yet? :roll:

Also if you type: nemo config in the terminal screen you will get this error message:

derrick@derrick-NF611AA-ABU-SR5726UK ~ $ nemo config
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Nemo-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: mkdir failed on directory /var/run/samba/msg.lock: Permission denied
net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

The strange thing is there is only me using the computer, nobody else i.e. it is a stand alone machine. :(
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

DerrickS wrote:Up to and including Linux Mint 18.2, I did not get this issue of screen icons moving about, but since installing Linux Mint 18.3, I have started getting this. It only does this with the desktop icons, nothing else, so it seems as though there is a minor glitch in the 18.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit nemo, that was not there before. Does anyone know if a solution to this has been found yet? :roll:

Also if you type: nemo config in the terminal screen you will get this error message:

derrick@derrick-NF611AA-ABU-SR5726UK ~ $ nemo config
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Nemo-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: mkdir failed on directory /var/run/samba/msg.lock: Permission denied
net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

The strange thing is there is only me using the computer, nobody else i.e. it is a stand alone machine. :(
Same error here, and only myself using the computer also. Have done a bug report. https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/1659
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Thanks for submitting the bug report. Something went wonky between 18.2 and 18.3 so I'm sure the developers will track it down in no time.

For the record are we all using Cinnamon or does this bug affect other DEs as well ?

18.3 64 Bit Cinnamon here. :)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Teksonik wrote:Thanks for submitting the bug report. Something went wonky between 18.2 and 18.3 so I'm sure the developers will track it down in no time.

For the record are we all using Cinnamon or does this bug affect other DEs as well ?

18.3 64 Bit Cinnamon here. :)
No problem; glad to, and, yes, am sure you're right about the fixing, and 18.3 64-bit Cinnamon here too. :-)
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Just wanted to post that I tried Align to Grid (Vertical) and when I just booted this system up the Icons remained in their proper positions. So it looks like the issue only affects non-aligned icons.

The trouble is that using Align to Grid the icons are all too far to the right and can't be moved. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere in a config file that would allow the grid to be customized but I am unaware of one at the moment. :)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Teksonik wrote:Just wanted to post that I tried Align to Grid (Vertical) and when I just booted this system up the Icons remained in their proper positions. So it looks like the issue only affects non-aligned icons.

The trouble is that using Align to Grid the icons are all too far to the right and can't be moved. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere in a config file that would allow the grid to be customized but I am unaware of one at the moment. :)
I saw a post on here the other day, by cyr4x, about dconf-editor (synaptics), and was very happy to be able to get free resizing of icons back ... org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". There's so many settings in there, some possibly about this, but I don't know what I'm doing in there without instructions, lol.
DerrickS

Post by DerrickS »

@ Artgirl and @Teksonik found this on the Linux Mint Forums viewtopic.php?t=196897

It seems as though this has happened before, to check your "Cinnamon Version" type this in the terminal screen <username>$ cinnamon --version
and for nemo this <username>$ nemo --version

Cinnamon shows as 3.6.6, nemo shows as 3.6.4

derrick@derrick-NF611AA-ABU-SR5726UK ~ $ cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 3.6.6
derrick@derrick-NF611AA-ABU-SR5726UK ~ $ nemo --version
nemo 3.6.4

The glitch is either the Cinnamon Desktop or Nemo / or both. :)

Also please read this cheers. :) https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/blob/ ... /changelog
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

ArtGirl wrote: I saw a post on here the other day, by cyr4x, about dconf-editor (synaptics), and was very happy to be able to get free resizing of icons back ... org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". There's
Yes ! Thank you ! I missed the free resizing of icons and now thanks to your help and (cyr4x) I've got it back. :D

Now if the icons will just stay put after a reboot we're in business.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

DerrickS wrote:@ Artgirl and @Teksonik found this on the Linux Mint Forums viewtopic.php?t=196897

It seems as though this has happened before, to check your "Cinnamon Version" type this in the terminal screen <username>$ cinnamon --version
and for nemo this <username>$ nemo --version

Cinnamon shows as 3.6.6, nemo shows as 3.6.4

derrick@derrick-NF611AA-ABU-SR5726UK ~ $ cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 3.6.6
derrick@derrick-NF611AA-ABU-SR5726UK ~ $ nemo --version
nemo 3.6.4

The glitch is either the Cinnamon Desktop or Nemo / or both. :)

Also please read this cheers. :) https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/blob/ ... /changelog
Thank you for the links, DerrickS. Much appreciate. :)
Cinnamon: 3.6.6
Nemo 3.6.4
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Teksonik wrote:
ArtGirl wrote: I saw a post on here the other day, by cyr4x, about dconf-editor (synaptics), and was very happy to be able to get free resizing of icons back ... org > nemo > desktop and untick the option "use-desktop-grid". There's
Yes ! Thank you ! I missed the free resizing of icons and now thanks to your help and (cyr4x) I've got it back. :D

Now if the icons will just stay put after a reboot we're in business.
Absolutely, and no problem; glad you're enjoying the free resizing again! :D

Return to “Cinnamon”