Stop Dimming of Unresponsive Windows

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aaaa
Level 1
Level 1

Stop Dimming of Unresponsive Windows

Post by aaaa »

Hi,

I have this problem across several Linux Mint machines where if I play a video in a web browser (either Chrome or Firefox), the area around the video will dim to grayscale. This seems to be an effect that's generally applied to unresponsive windows. The window responds find and its user interface performance is good, it's just annoying to have most of it dim to grayscale.

Any way to disable this effect? If this were Compiz Effects Manager I think the equivalent feature would be "Dim Unresponsive Windows"

System Info:
Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version 3.4.3
Chrome: 62.0.3202.62 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Stop Dimming of Unresponsive Windows

Post by Moem »

I would call those windows 'inactive', not 'unresponsive'. But I know what you mean; furthermore, I remember looking for a way to disable it, because I was sick of trying to blindly adjust the colours and contrast in images that were greyed out because the adjustment fiddling window was now active!
The good news is that I found it.
The bad news is that I don't know where. But as soon as I find it I'll let you know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ManaenRC

Post by ManaenRC »

This is the exact problem I am trying to solve as well. Since this thread is old and not answered I figured it would be acceptable to add some life to it. I have tried to google this issue for the last 6 months at various times. Then I found this forum. with exactly one thread on my same question.

I am running Mint19 Cinnamon with the latest updates on Kernel 4.19.8 on a Thinkpad A485 with Ryzen 2700U, So AMD graphics.

anyway if anyone could offer a way to remove this feature it would solve so many annoyances for me.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ManaenRC wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm This is the exact problem I am trying to solve as well. Since this thread is old and not answered I figured it would be acceptable to add some life to it.
The fact that it's old is precisely why we prefer that people don't revive it. But you're in luck, because I've found the answer and I'll post that and then lock the thread later.
Here it is:
Menu => Preferences => Windows => Behaviour => "Attach dialog windows to the parent window": toggle to OFF.

That's it. That's all. Hope this helps!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ManaenRC

Post by ManaenRC »

Sorry about that, I will start a new thread since that setting was already turned off therefore not the solution to my issue.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If that's not it, then a new thread is definitely the best option. Cheers!

Return to “Cinnamon”