Backup Tool

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheRed-

Backup Tool

Post by TheRed- »

After upgrated from Mint Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 the Backup Tool doesn't show the previous apps installed when 18.2, it shows only the apps installed after upgrade (18.3).
I also tried to run 'dpkg --get-selections > mylist.list' as suggested from Backup Tool but nothing happened. Is it a bug?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Backup Tool

Post by catweazel »

TheRed- wrote:After upgrated from Mint Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 the Backup Tool doesn't show the previous apps installed when 18.2, it shows only the apps installed after upgrade (18.3).
I also tried to run 'dpkg --get-selections > mylist.list' as suggested from Backup Tool but nothing happened. Is it a bug?
No, it's a feature.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_ci ... atsnew.php
(The backup tool) is now dedicated to making a backup of your home directory, nothing less and nothing more.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ablebaker »

Running

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > mylist.list
places the text file "mylist.list" in the user's Home directory. That file contains a list of all installed packages.
TheRed-

Post by TheRed- »

catweazel wrote:
TheRed- wrote:After upgrated from Mint Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 the Backup Tool doesn't show the previous apps installed when 18.2, it shows only the apps installed after upgrade (18.3).
No, it's a feature.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_ci ... atsnew.php
(The backup tool) is now dedicated to making a backup of your home directory, nothing less and nothing more.
Ok.. How can I do software backup?
TheRed-

Post by TheRed- »

ablebaker wrote:
Running

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > mylist.list
places the text file "mylist.list" in the user's Home directory. That file contains a list of all installed packages.
From Backup Tool how can be usefull the section "Software selection"? If I understand right it can be able only to show the software installed on pc, nothing more, right?
winemaker9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winemaker9 »

Bottom line...is Clem and the team aware that there are many of us who are not happy with the new backup tool, especially in reference to backing up software selection....ALL of the packages, not just stuff installed since install of 18.3 ?
Add to that, yes, you can list them from the command line into your 'backup' folder, but how does one reinstall from that list.

Please, give us back the old tool....I much preferred that!!!
Steve
jdm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdm »

Having just upgraded my Wife's PC from 18.2, I have to agree with the sentiment regarding Backup Tool. If I upgrade my PC I will resort to luckybackup. Sorry one step forward 2 back. Backup Tool as it stands is no longer fit for purpose.

JDM
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

jdm wrote:Having just upgraded my Wife's PC from 18.2, I have to agree with the sentiment regarding Backup Tool. If I upgrade my PC I will resort to luckybackup. Sorry one step forward 2 back. Backup Tool as it stands is no longer fit for purpose.

JDM
Luckybackup has been one of my go to for years, it just works.
winemaker9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winemaker9 »

jdm wrote:Having just upgraded my Wife's PC from 18.2, I have to agree with the sentiment regarding Backup Tool. If I upgrade my PC I will resort to luckybackup. Sorry one step forward 2 back. Backup Tool as it stands is no longer fit for purpose.

JDM
Suggestion...use (or at least check out) Daja=Dupe rather than luckbackup. I had used lucky but it's quite dated...Deja works even better, has a built in 'time machine' for your data, and after the first backup, runs quite quickly. The one major thing I set it to pass over and not backup are my virtualbox machines...they can really make the backup take quite a while. Instead I simply copy them onto the backup drive when I've run or backed up the 'virtual windows' system.

https://www.linux.com/learn/total-syste ... l-deja-dup
Steve
jdm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdm »

First let me say thank you for the suggestions. I have always used luckybackup and found it excellent and will continue to use it even although it is no longer maintained, which is really why I changed to using the Mint Backup Tool which was in it's previous state an excellent tool prior to 18.3.

Secondly let me apologies to all those who have worked so hard to release 18.3 including the changes to Backup Tool who may have read my post and thought my post unnecessary ... and before anyone thinks otherwise nobody has contacted me regarding it.

It still is an excellent tool which does exactly as it says, which is to backup important personal data, just no longer the config data that I and others perhaps were expecting. I stand by my original statement but with one word added which changes it to "no longer fit for MY purpose". No doubt others will feel that it isn't fit for their purpose either but then there are other options available.

I'm only adding all this because after time to reflect I felt it necessary to show some appreciation of such a great operating system that Mint has become with 18.3 that really didn't deserve one application getting my "not fit for purpose".

jdm

:oops:
aris

Post by aris »

New user here. I recently tried the grsync tool and maybe you want to try that too. It can be found here:

http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

Return to “Cinnamon”