The case of the invisible checkboxes and radio buttons

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

The case of the invisible checkboxes and radio buttons

Post by dhdurgee »

Since upgrading to x64 Sonya Cinnamon I am encountering a problem with forms in Firefox and SeaMonkey. As noted in the title, checkboxes and radio buttons are invisible in forms. They can still be used, but you have to know they are there. This is in the latest release of each of the browsers. Most of these forms are on secure websites, but I searched and found a sample available for anyone to see if they also have the problem here:

http://toolsqa.com/automation-practice-form/

As I encountered this first in SeaMonkey, I posted about it in the SeaMonkey support group. I had not seen this in the previous release of SeaMonkey, and the developer immediately noted that this was the first release of SeaMonkey that relies on GTK3 as opposed to GTK2. Thus there is suspicion that this is a GTK3 theme problem. Given this, it is unsuprising that it is also exhibited by Firefox, which has been GTK3 based for several releases now.

I have already had to add GTK3 customization in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to get my scroll bar steppers back. Hopefully there is also something I can add here, or as someone else suggested in a userChrome.css in my SeaMonkey profile, that will get my checkboxes and radio buttons to display again.

Is anyone else seeing this in the same environment? Are there changes in Sylvia that might correct this? Does anyone have the fix I need to add to my customization file?

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: The case of the invisible checkboxes and radio buttons

Post by rene »

Just FYI, no such issue with current Firefox (57.0.1) on Mint 17.3.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

rene wrote:Just FYI, no such issue with current Firefox (57.0.1) on Mint 17.3.
I suspect it is theme specific. What particular theme are you using? I am using a tweaked version of Mint-X controls and Metabox for Window borders. I don't know which part of the theme addresses checkboxes and radio buttons, but I would guess it is probably the controls.

Dave
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Everything default for the Cinnamon edition of 17.3. I.e., in Preferences -> Themes I have Mint-X for Window borders, Icons and Controls, DMZ-White for mouse pointer and Linux Mint for Desktop.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

rene wrote:Everything default for the Cinnamon edition of 17.3. I.e., in Preferences -> Themes I have Mint-X for Window borders, Icons and Controls, DMZ-White for mouse pointer and Linux Mint for Desktop.
Thanks for the information. I tried changing to match your settings and the problem was solved. In particular it turns out that the controls is the theme element that impacted it.

Dave

Return to “Cinnamon”