[SOLVED] Startup delay settings are missing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

[SOLVED] Startup delay settings are missing

Post by Moem »

I'm on Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
When I open up the Startup Applications window, I don't get the controls to add startup delay to my various applications. It's just not there. Does anyone have any idea what might be up here? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Problem with Redshift on 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. »

I suggest to create a new test account. Interestingly there appears an empty space just above the 2 buttons for Cancel & Save, just the space, which would be needed to show the delay options.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Startup delay settings are missing

Post by Moem »

Cosmo., that was quite informative. Interestingly, the clean account showed two Startup Applications entries in the menu. I opened them both and one had the delay controls and the other did not.
I have now edited the menu on my normal account to show the other entry, the one with the delay controls, and all is well with the world. Thank you.

I think this may be a holdover from a bold upgrade strategy: I retained my /home partition when upgrading from 17.3 32-bits to 18.3 64-bits. It stands to reason that duplicates may occur.
In fact, I now remember seeing this double entry in my menu and disabling one of them in the menu editor. I guess I picked the wrong one! :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ArtGirl

Re: [SOLVED] Startup delay settings are missing

Post by ArtGirl »

Glad it solved. :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi moem...did i read this right?..." bold upgrade strategy: I retained my /home partition when upgrading from 17.3 32-bits to 18.3 64-bits"...WOW...you call it bold...i call that one real gutsy...do you also run with scissors?...lol...DAMIEN
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh yes, all the time. Three pairs of scissors in each hand, and watch me go! ;-)

Seriously now: I figured that if it didn't work out, I could always reinstall. After all, I had all my data backed up. So there wasn't any real risk involved: I could at most lose some extra time.
I can report that it worked fine, apart from this duplicate menu entry (and I found another one: screen saver settings). No guarantees that it'll work for anyone else. Don't try this at home, unless you have good backups and like to experiment! 8)

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I'd just like to point out that the window in your first screenshot is not the one provided by cinnamon settings startup applications. Do you have another desktop environment installed on that machine?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JosephM wrote:I'd just like to point out that the window in your first screenshot is not the one provided by cinnamon settings startup applications. Do you have another desktop environment installed on that machine?
It must be, because I've never installed any other desktop environment on this machine. Or could it be the fallback Mate version?

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Moem wrote:
JosephM wrote:I'd just like to point out that the window in your first screenshot is not the one provided by cinnamon settings startup applications. Do you have another desktop environment installed on that machine?
It must be, because I've never installed any other desktop environment on this machine. Or could it be the fallback Mate version?
I'll have to check this again. The one Cinnamon should be providing is the one you find when going to System settings->Startup applications. It looks quite different then the one you show in your screenshot :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JosephM wrote:The one Cinnamon should be providing is the one you find when going to System settings->Startup applications. It looks quite different then the one you show in your screenshot :)
That was the reason I posted: because something was wrong with it. :wink: And yes, that was System settings->Startup applications.

Return to “Cinnamon”