Menu item appears in mozo, but not in menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nocom

Menu item appears in mozo, but not in menu

Post by nocom »

I am trying to add Spyder3 from the Anaconda package as a menu item of the Cinnamon desktop. Anaconda provides a spyder3.desktop that looks like the following (after some editing):

Code: Select all

Desktop Entry]
Name=Spyder3
Comment=Scientific PYthon Development EnviRonment - Python3
Exec=/home/arnold/bin/anaconda3/bin/spyder %F
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/spyder3.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Development;
StartupNotify=true
Version=1.0
GenericName=Spyder3
TryExec=spyder
MimeType=text/x-python;
I copied the Exec path and ran it in a terminal, that worked. the spyder3.desktop item was then copied to /usr/share/applications which I understood to be the place to be for all menu items (I am still quite a newbie so please correct me if I am wrong).

The icon resides in the place specified. Yet when I open the menu, it does not exist anywhere and nether can be found. When I edit the menu with Mozo, the Spyder menu is present, it is even checked, but... still doesn't show in the menu. Next step was to create manually a Spyder menu item via Mozo. I checked the path, the new menu item is checked, it is in the programming folder, but does not appear in the menu. However, this time it popped up in the search, so I could attach it to the panel.

Why is Spyder avoiding to be accepted in the warm family of menu items? And why does it appear in Mozo, checked and all that, but not in the menu?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Menu item appears in mozo, but not in menu

Post by Moem »

Try using the Cinnamon Menu Editor instead of Mozo. Mozo shows me a different version of my menu than I'm actually using. It doesn't seem to be connected to the Cinnamon menu.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Well, Mozo is the menu editor from MATE. :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@Monsta: Yep, but it is preinstalled in Cinnamon, I assume for the fallback mode. See also here. (Strange, that Mozo comes up in the forum for Cinnamon in a short time already for the second time. I cannot remember having read about it in the past.)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Ah, Clem probably included it with the other parts of MATE for the fallback mode...
nocom

Post by nocom »

Sorry guys, I missed these answers completely. Thanks very much for reacting. Next dumb question: where/what *is* the menu editor? I really cannot find it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Right click the menu icon in the panel -> select to configure -> switch to the 2nd site called Menu -> click the bar to open the menu editor.

For your convenience you can do this: In the open Menu Editor select in the left pane "Settings". You will see now in the right pane the Entry "Cinnamon Menu Editor". Set a checkmark for it and you can now open the menu editor directly from inside of the menu.
nocom

Post by nocom »

To answer my own dumb reply: cinnamon_menu_editor. And it really works! Thanks for your help.
nocom

Post by nocom »

Ah, I overlooked that, this is much easier. Thanks very much for your patience and your time!

Return to “Cinnamon”