Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
GuillaumeM91
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Black desktop, no taskbar and cannot open terminal

Post by GuillaumeM91 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with cinnamon desktop and I guess probably something else... I have been searching a solution in the different topic, but still I cannot manage to fix my problem.
When I start my session, the taskbar does not appear and I cannot open the mint menu. Also, the icons are still here the wallpaper does not appear and is black instead. I tried "Ctrl + Alt + T" to open a terminal but nothing happen... I could access tty1 to try to reinstall cinnamon and restart the computer but nothing changed.
I found out that I can get a terminal in the window of one folder, so from there I could launch cinnamon and get back the taskbar, but still I cannot open the terminal and when I reboot the computer again cinnamon does not start...

Here is some information about my computer and my system :

Code: Select all

System:    Host: habanero Kernel: 4.10.0-35-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Acer product: Aspire V3-571G v: V2.03
           Mobo: Acer model: VA50_HC_CR v: Type2 - Board Version Bios: Acer v: V2.03 date: 09/07/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 2983 MHz 2: 2799 MHz 3: 2550 MHz 4: 2804 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-35-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0f0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (17.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPVT size: 750.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 684G used: 119G (19%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 195 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 967.9/3769.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
I hope some of you can help me.
Best,
Guillaume
Last edited by GuillaumeM91 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Black desktop, no taskbar and cannot open terminal

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Possibly the problem is in your main account. To find that out open a virtual console (tty1) and enter: sudo adduser test. This will create a test account. Go back into the login screen and enter the test account. Does it behave as expected?

GuillaumeM91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuillaumeM91 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:00 am

I just tried creating a test account, but it remains the same for this one too. No taskbar, no menu, no terminal...

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 am

So the problem is in our system. What was the last change to the system, when the problem started?

GuillaumeM91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuillaumeM91 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:01 am

It started yesterday evening.
In the afternoon, I ran an "apt-get upgrade" in the afternoon, I didn't see any error. I powered off my computer and when I restarted it, and it was bugged.
Could it be the upgrade, the reason it happened ?

Let me know if other information can help, thank you for your help.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 am

There exist thousands of posts, why updating with the command-line method is not recommended. One of them. You have ignored that and now you are learning it on the hard way.

The update manager - and only the update manager - knows a level system, which would help in such a situation. In short: Updates for level 3 & 4 (for LM 18.2 and above) have to get applied one by one and after each update you have to reboot, before you apply the other one (because for some software only then the update gets effective). With this method you would be able to tell afterwards, which update gave the problem for you. Now you are in the position, where you can tell nothing, or as Clem said: "if you're not experienced enough to troubleshoot it and re-downgrade you might be in a situation you can't solve". Nobody is now able to tell, which update gave the problem (but we are able to say, that one oof the updates gave the problem), so the only way you have is to install Mint new.

So the advice is: Backup all your user files.

Then install Mint new. Either 18.2 or 18.3. In case of 18.2 you should afterwards also install Timeshift (in 18.3 it comes pre-installed). This tool will give the possibility to revert the system to the previous state.

GuillaumeM91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuillaumeM91 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:26 am

Well, as you said I'm learning the hard way.
Thank you for your help, I'm going to reinstall Mint.

Should I mark this topic as resolved ?

cykvi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>Black desktop, no taskbar and cannot open terminal

Post by cykvi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:14 am

Hi
It happened to me yesterday (Black desktop, no taskbar and cannot open terminal) and before I reinstall Linux mint (cinnamon 18.2) I tried some solutions Googling around and just after a day (today) I fixed it without reinstalling anything.
I know for GuillaumeM91 it is going to be too late as he probably reinstalled it already as his post is dated as Dec 29, 2017, but this solution can be useful for the others not to do it "the hard way" :) or fix the bug (if it is the one).
The problem started for me when I changed the system language to Georgian (Kartuli) and restarted the machine.
As I could not open the terminal and was unable to access the system settings I was unable to change that back to English so I started to search in Google "How to change the language via a terminal" just to know where to find the language setting file(s) location and I found a Ubuntu forum.
So as my Desktop was black and my icons were gone I still had "Computer" and "Home" folder icons on it.
1. So I opened "Computer/File System/etc/default/ and with "sublimetext" (my text editor) I opened "locale" file and set
LANG=en_US
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
...and I dont remember if there was the third line too, but I've changed all where was:
"ge_KA" (as Georgian Kartuli) to "en_US"

2. Next the UBUNTU post was saying to edit in terminal the next pass: "~/.pam_environment" , but as I was not in terminal I just navigated to "/home/<myuserfolder>/" than pressed "Ctrl + H" to show hidden files and with sublimetext opened ".pam_enviroment" file to edit.
There I've done the same changes as in previous file: replacing "ge_KA" with "en_US", saved and restarted the system.

Everything was back: My Desktop, wallpaper and the icons :D ,but I still was unable to open the terminal, so
I entered to "Language settings" and changed the first option "Language, interface, date and time..." to English as there still was Georgian one set.
Logoff / Logon and voila it worked
:P

cevad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>Black desktop, no taskbar and cannot open terminal

Post by cevad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Your solution is very helpful to me. I didn't experience a similar problem in the past but using several languages on my installations now makes me more careful and a hint in mind.
Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Cinnamon”