<SOLVED> Cinnamon randomly crashes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Some Guy

<SOLVED> Cinnamon randomly crashes

Post by Some Guy »

so, randomly I will see a "Cinnamon Crashed" error message pop up on my screen. When this happens, I always just click on the "restart cinnamon" option, and it will go back to normal. I am guessing this is a graphics card problem, but I could be wrong. does anyone know how to fix this or if it can be fixed?

my graphics card is a AMD Redwood PRO, and I am running Linux Mint 18.2.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon randomly crashes

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hopefully someone will be along with a more forensic approach, but just to mention that since upgrading to 18.3 (four weeks ago) I haven't had any probs at all. Prior to that I'd started getting random Cinnamon crashes roughly every day or two. I never got to diagnose it and so will probably always remain a mystery!

Apart from the LM upgrade, the only other thing that might be relevant was the Firefox 57 update. I tend to use it a lot so it was probably open when the system was crashing, but just a hunch. Anyway, can't say that doing the same will resolve it for you, but just thought it was worth mentioning and I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen the same improvement with 18.3?
Some Guy

Post by Some Guy »

It usually happens for me when chrome is open or when Xscreensaver is running (with or without chrome open).

I also try to stay away from upgrading Linux because it has messed up my computer before (when I "upgraded" from Linux Mint 17 64-bit to Linux Mint 17.2 32-bit, and broke it in some other way on top of that).
Some Guy

Post by Some Guy »

I upgraded my graphics card and since then cinnamon has not crashed.

Old graphics card: AMD Redwood PRO
New graphics card: AMD Turks XT

Return to “Cinnamon”