Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Sander
Level 1
Level 1

unresponsive system after switching users

Post by Sander » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello everyone,

Since I upgraded from 17.3 to 18.3 there have been some problems for me with switching between users and back. When I switch back to another user after some time has passed, I think ~15 minutes, the system becomes unusable. Clicking buttons does not do anything any more. For example clicking the terminal icon on the panel does give me a new terminal on the taskbar but not on the desktop, while hovering the mouse over terminal icon on the taskbar does give me a preview of the terminal. You can't open the menu with a mouse click but you can with the 'windows' key and you can navigate the menu with the mouse but clicking items will not open new programs. Any mouse clicks anywhere have no effect anymore. This forces me to reboot the system to make it functional again. Logging out and then signing on another user is still without problems.
Please help,
Sander

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: unresponsive system after switching users

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Please delete the user after taking its backup. Create a new user by setting,---user-- add user and test.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Sander
Level 1
Level 1

Re: unresponsive system after switching users

Post by Sander » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:36 pm

I have done as you asked. Deleted the user, recreated it and tested it. The errant behaviour was still there. Then I tried making several other users who all stop working while logged on another account.

Return to “Cinnamon”