[SOLVED] Screensaver does not activate sometimes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
jeffsp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeffsp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Sometimes my screensaver does not come on, even after several hours of inactivity.

This only occurs maybe half the time. Other times, the screen saver comes on when expected, and it locks after the specified delay time.

I have Screensaver set to:
  • "Delay before starting the screensaver" = 5 minutes
    "Lock the computer after the screensaver starts" = ON
    "Delay before locking" = 1 minute
I'm not sure if it's related, but the monitor never powers off either.

I have Power Management set to:
  • "Turn off the screen when inactive for" = 15 minutes
I am running 18.3 (Sylvia), that I have upgraded from 18.1 (Serena)

Here is what I have installed:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list | grep screensaver
ii  cinnamon-screensaver                        3.6.1+sylvia                                            all          Cinnamon screen saver and locker
ii  cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper             3.6.1+sylvia                                            amd64        PAM helper for cinnamon-screensaver
ii  cinnamon-screensaver-x-plugin               3.6.1+sylvia                                            all          XScreensaver plugin for cinnamon-screensaver
ii  libcscreensaver0:amd64                      3.6.1+sylvia                                            amd64        library and introspection data used only by cinnamon-screensaver
ii  xscreensaver-data                           5.34-2ubuntu1                                           amd64        Screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
ii  xscreensaver-data-extra                     5.34-2ubuntu1                                           amd64        Extra screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
ii  xscreensaver-gl                             5.34-2ubuntu1                                           amd64        GL(Mesa) screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
ii  xscreensaver-gl-extra                       5.34-2ubuntu1                                           amd64        Extra GL(Mesa) screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
Last edited by jeffsp on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

jeffsp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeffsp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 am

I enabled the "Inhibit Applet" on my panel, and then was able to determine the cause of my problem.

1. Chrome inhibits the screensaver sometimes. For example, when youtube is playing a video.
2. Chrome disables the screensaver when Dropbox is open in a tab and Dropbox is forced to resync one or more files.

This is very easy to reproduce on my machine. I just open Dropbox.com in a chrome tab, and then create a new file in my Dropbox folder.

Inhibit Applet will immediately indicate that the screensaver is disabled, and it will stay disabled until I close the Dropbox tab.

Return to “Cinnamon”